UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

HKS SC kit topic

Old 03-15-2017, 12:40 PM

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

A year and probably 3000 miles. You need an oil cooler to help keep the engine temperatures in check.
Old 03-15-2017, 12:56 PM

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by johnckeen
Constructive reply that...
Lighten up dude. I just meant someone has to be the first to push boundaries.

But it won't be me as I'm happy with the power I get and it's very drivable. Probably 3000 miles now and 3-4 track days with it. No complaints at all.
Old 03-15-2017, 01:01 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

roughly 3k miles. 6-7months

not running a oil cooler

issues i have are:
belt slip - belt supplied not suitable
excessive flutter - bov supplied is not suitable
Heat issues - No idea.... could be airflow issue or tune... Hopefully will be fixed in a few weeks when i get my new bumper
Old 03-15-2017, 01:24 PM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Define198
roughly 3k miles. 6-7months

not running a oil cooler

issues i have are:
belt slip - belt supplied not suitable
excessive flutter - bov supplied is not suitable
Heat issues - No idea.... could be airflow issue or tune... Hopefully will be fixed in a few weeks when i get my new bumper
who mapped it ?
Old 03-15-2017, 01:25 PM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Ok some nice positives comments .... that's good to hear to be honest .
Old 03-15-2017, 01:43 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Bodyboarder1981
who mapped it ?
company called RDT near Doncaster
Old 03-15-2017, 03:56 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Done around 500 miles on mine, no issues other than the fluttering which should be resolved once i fit a bigger bov. I don't have an oil cooler but have cut holes in the bonnet to help with heat. Car is used on weekends and have a track day booked later in the year.

im happy as hell with the kit, the ease of install and the difference it's made to the car. To get the best from it you need to upgrade other parts though - fueling and exhaust.
Old 03-16-2017, 12:30 AM

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

I am sure I have read on this thread that HKS do not recommend exceeding 8800rpm to keep the supercharger speeds within the specified sub 110k range? So fitting a pulley to gear the charger up even more would require a further reduction in the rpm limit to retain that same safety zone. No problem on an AP2 which already has a lower rev limit, but would spoil the F20C engine IMO, as part of the USP of this engine is the 9k range.

The other issue is that overspeeding the supercharger means you put it outside it's efficiency range, so you might actually make less power as even with it pushing more boost (the outer edges of the blades can go super-sonic if pushed too hard causing big stresses and blades can snap off), the charge temps start to go through the ceiling when the compressor is running too much rpm than it was designed for. Just like an engine, they make their best power at a specific rpm.

Last edited by Mike RT4; 03-16-2017 at 01:25 AM.
Old 03-16-2017, 12:53 AM

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike RT4
I am sure I have read on this thread that HKS do not recommend exceeding 8800rpm to keep the supercharger speeds within the specified sub 110k range? So fitting a pulley to gear the charger up even more would require a further reduction in the rpm limit to retain that same safety zone. No problem on an AP2 which already has a lower rev limit, but would spoil the F20C engine IMO, as part of the USP of this engine is the 9k range.

The other issue is that overspeeding the supercharger means you put it outside it's efficiency range, so you might actually make less power as even with it pushing more boost (the outer edges of the blades can go super-sonic if pushed too hard causing big stresses and blades can snap off), the charge temps start to go through the ceiling when the compressor is running to much rpm than it was designed for. Just like an engine, they make their best power at a specific rpm.
It would be interesting to know what Power and Torque a F20 would make with a smaller pulley and still limited to 110k (guessing around 8krpm). May be more usable
Old 03-20-2017, 02:30 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Is anyone aware of whether the amount of fuel in the tank affects the cars performance (not the obvious if its empty performance is hugely affected!!).

Recently I've been gettin what I would describe as a fuel cut when driving hard in second gear, third would be fine until earlier tonight when I went out for a drive to test the new BOV I've put on. Fuel level was showing around 3 bars. I've been getting these symptoms in 2nd since around a quarter tank. I went a put some fuel in, to about 3/4 of a tank, and the issue seems to have gone. I drove it fairly hard to the petrol station and got the issue, drove it as hard back and didn't get it at all.

Cars only run on v-power, checked my oil on Saturday and it was at 3/4 on the dipstick so topped that up. Have a walbro 255l/hr pump, new filter, 1000cc injectors.

Is it coincidence that it seems to have gone now there's more fuel in the tank or is it a known issue??

Quick Reply: HKS SC kit topic