UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

HKS SC kit topic

Old 10-19-2016, 12:03 AM

Received 108 Likes on 89 Posts

yeh that would worry me though as i dont really want to damage it if i can help it.. Knowing my luck id cross two of the worst pins imaginable
Old 10-24-2016, 12:36 AM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

People running the AEM v2 ecu, do you ever notice that coolant temp will get to say 2 bars on dash, and then go back to 1 and then go to three? all in a short period when car is warming up? Also noticed today car got up to temp (5-6miles?) and was reading normal op temp on dash, i dropped a gear to get past a lorry and it lost a bar? before going back up again a few seconds later?

Could it be all my issues are pointing to the coolant temp sensor?
Old 10-24-2016, 12:48 AM
UK Trader

Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

When I had my charger and AEM set up (It was a while back now!) the coolant display was far more accurate then the standard OE ECU - I think I had another little mod fitted (a bit like a Ricks yellow jacket) which went in line of the ECU and display - however I would also notice subtle changes in coolant temp.

Not any help to your issue!
Old 10-24-2016, 02:52 AM

Received 134 Likes on 113 Posts

I do find the coolant gauge on mine reacts differently to OEM and occasionally does something a little odd like you describe. I put it down to a couple of things... One is that the gauge is calibrated differently (blobs per °C is different, so it shows more subtle variation). Also, the engine heats up faster with the SC. Therefore, the coolant doesn't warm up as evenly (cool bits and warm bits). You can feel the top of a rad pipe will get a flow of warm fluid whilst the bottom of the pipe is still cool.

I suspect when you put your foot down for the first time, the extra revs increases the water pump speed, and changes the flow paths, mixes the warm and cold coolant more (or starts to push a cold patch past the sensor). This will happen to a certain degree without the SC, but the temp gauge is less sensitive and the engine heats up more slowly, so any temp gradients will be lessened. It would be interesting to know whether a NA car with an AEM EMS does the same.
Old 10-24-2016, 03:29 AM

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

The only thing i will say about the AEM is it seems to read abit high on the coolant gauge.

For example with NA engine and OEM ECU the fan coming on is dictated purely by the fans switch which is set to 97c. Even at 97c my gauge would never go to the half way mark but with the AEM 97c will push you past the half way mark if you leave the fans at 97c.

Im in the process of fitting an oil cooler to my kit, made most of the brackets but space is tight with the intercooler in there. Im very tempted to bin AC but i have a feeling i would regret it one day
Old 10-24-2016, 03:56 AM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by markforrester99
The only thing i will say about the AEM is it seems to read abit high on the coolant gauge.

For example with NA engine and OEM ECU the fan coming on is dictated purely by the fans switch which is set to 97c. Even at 97c my gauge would never go to the half way mark but with the AEM 97c will push you past the half way mark if you leave the fans at 97c.

Im in the process of fitting an oil cooler to my kit, made most of the brackets but space is tight with the intercooler in there. Im very tempted to bin AC but i have a feeling i would regret it one day
Ah, so it might not be pointing me to a obvious fault with the sensor then!

Funny you should say about binning the AC, my girlfriend has been bugging me to just remove it rather than just replace the aircon condenser, as 1) it will cost nothing and will improve airflow, 2) i might be able to squeeze a oil cooler between the main rad and the intercooler and 3)it might help get rid of some weight so bring the car back to standard weight before the s/c was installed and 4) i have never really used the air con, apart from the odd day to remove mist from the screen.

I am 99% sure i will not personally miss it, the only thing stopping me is if the car was ever sold, would it be likely to put anyone off from buying it.

If it was up to my girlfriend the car would be totally stripped out lol
Old 10-24-2016, 07:30 AM

I'm keeping mine, no need to get rid of it really and condensers are only £50 from car-cooling.co.uk

It's useful when you steam up during wet spells.
Old 10-24-2016, 02:22 PM

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

I loved my AC on whilst lapping the ring this year. Outside temps where 30'c+.

Each to their own
Old 10-25-2016, 03:23 AM

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by E4RTH WORM JIM
I loved my AC on whilst lapping the ring this year. Outside temps where 30'c+.

Each to their own
I was going to say, "what about the power drain?" but I believe the AC disengages over 6000rpm/VTEC doesn't it?

I'm losing mine as I never use it, except when I switch it on by accident. Its on my winter list (so if you still need that top bit - let me know).
Old 10-25-2016, 03:56 AM

I'm being lazy but what are the size of pipes on SC kit?
Want to buy proper samco hoses for it, unless the standard ones from HKS are good quality?

Quick Reply: HKS SC kit topic