UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

HKS Hi-Performance Silent Exhaust

Old 12-14-2005, 04:07 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CiderBoy,Dec 14 2005, 10:50 AM
* It weighs so much less than stock.
Are you sure Nick??

3.5K drone is a pain in 6th gear as its about 60 mph IIRC. changing the final drive sorted it out for me at now 60 mph is 4K revs from memory

The test pipe reduced the T1-R drone.
Old 12-14-2005, 04:08 AM
Jel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

CB you make me chuckle, after countless pontificating about pipes and intakes you finally get your shiny beast... and you dont like it!

I think the drone mine makes (although never heard an HKS at low revs) is great - and no I dont class myself as vaguely chavlike, despite the county I live in. Having said that I love it when people look over their shoulder and have a 'wtf was that' expression.

It will settle down as it gets smogged up and you will notice it less and less.
Old 12-14-2005, 04:16 AM

Originally Posted by Paper Lawyer,Dec 14 2005, 01:07 PM
Are you sure Nick??

3.5K drone is a pain in 6th gear as its about 60 mph IIRC. changing the final drive sorted it out for me at now 60 mph is 4K revs from memory

The test pipe reduced the T1-R drone.
Having picked them both up, yes I'm fairly sure.

May have to think about trying a test pipe, but worried about throwing good money after bad.
Old 12-14-2005, 04:20 AM

Received 654 Likes on 569 Posts

i have exactly the same exhaust as you nick...

the drone was at first very intrusive to me. live with it for 3 or 4 months.. either it gets less or you go partially deaf, i'm not sure which. Either way it'll stop bothering you. I find the HKS silent superb, not too loud to be intrusive but throaty enough to make the S sound like a sports car . My missus drove off in mine this morning and I thought as a pedestrian it sounded very subtlely AGGRESSIVE AS HELL

plus on occassion when you want to be a real hooligan pull the lid off the airbox

having said that at the moment i'm deaf due to a cold.. which has lasted for 9 days so far ffs.. so i maybe i'm underestimating it.
Old 12-14-2005, 04:21 AM

Originally Posted by Jel,Dec 14 2005, 01:08 PM
CB you make me chuckle, after countless pontificating about pipes and intakes you finally get your shiny beast... and you dont like it!

I think the drone mine makes (although never heard an HKS at low revs) is great - and no I dont class myself as vaguely chavlike, despite the county I live in. Having said that I love it when people look over their shoulder and have a 'wtf was that' expression.

It will settle down as it gets smogged up and you will notice it less and less.
Pontificating! Don't go trying to impress me with yer big words!

It's not that I don't like the HKS, I do. But the drone is a definte negative point. I'm happy to live it for now, but question whether I will still be of the same view after a few months of ownrship.

My head is hurting from a stinky cold (i.e. man flu) at the moment, so may be the drone will be less annoying when I am feeling better.
Old 12-14-2005, 04:22 AM

To be fair, you're not likely to get much of a drop in price recouped between now and say, a month, now that it's been fitted. So if I was in your position, I'd do nothing for that month and see how it goes.
Old 12-14-2005, 04:24 AM

plus on occassion when you want to be a real hooligan pull the lid off the airbox
Oh shit! Mines off at the moment. LOL I had better put it back on and see if that makes a difference! I rarely have it off, but did to show a mate the other day and it's still in the garage!

having said that at the moment i'm deaf due to a cold.. which has lasted for 9 days so far ffs.. so i maybe i'm underestimating it.
Noooo! I was hoping my cold is having the opposite effect, ie making the drone less bearable.
Old 12-14-2005, 04:26 AM

Originally Posted by grahamb,Dec 14 2005, 01:22 PM
To be fair, you're not likely to get much of a drop in price recouped between now and say, a month, now that it's been fitted. So if I was in your position, I'd do nothing for that month and see how it goes.
Don't worry. I will be keeping it for a least a few months and then reviewing the situation.

As for now, enough of me droning on about my drone!

But I would be interested to see what you think tomorrow.
Old 12-14-2005, 05:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hang onto it and decat, this removes the droning totally, but this maybe due to me becoming totally deaf since removing the cat
Old 12-14-2005, 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by Pie_n_Chips,Dec 14 2005, 02:49 PM
Hang onto it and decat, this removes the droning totally, but this maybe due to me becoming totally deaf since removing the cat
So does removing the cat make the top end more noisey?

Quick Reply: HKS Hi-Performance Silent Exhaust