UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

HKS Exhaust install completed!!!

Old 10-26-2002, 07:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HKS Exhaust install completed!!!

Having read a million threads on the HKS install I was really worried about installing the exhaust myself but it was a breeze!

Taking the old exhaust was the hardest part:

1 - jack the car up with a two tonne jack and put the jackstands under the car for safety!

2 - Unbolt the three bolts on the catalyser - take it easy so that you don't damage the thread - I bought three new nuts just in case - but they came off really easy and I used the new nuts anyway.

3 - Unbolt the brace which needs to be removed too take off the original exhaust - 6 bolts - no probs

4 - Take off the rubber hangers! Man, this was really hard - I nearly gave up - this took me about 30 mins!!!! I ended up using some fairy liquid which helped them off easily.

5 - install each section of the HKS exhaust one by one and just hand tighten the bolts.

6 - Check that the tips are aligned perfectly and not too close to the plastic bumper - this takes time and is better when you have someone to check the alignment with you.

7 - Reinstall the brace - 6 bolts

8 - Tighten all bolts on the HKS to 39 - 44 nm - I opted for 40nm which was fine.

9 - Start the engine and then jump for joy!!!

The sound is perfect - gorgeous sound when the car is warming up at 2000rpm - not too loud - sounds awesome.

When driving - if you shift at 3000 rpm - the exhaust is just slightly louder than normal but when you shift from 3000 - 4500 rpm - it is really boomy and attracts a lot attention.

VTECulation is just out of this world - really sporty and extremely loud! I even managed to set off a car alarm! Noticed an increase in power belowe 5000 rpm - may just be the sound but a lot of my friends who have been in the car before commented on the acceleration below VTEC - They kept saying "are you VTECing?" and I was only doing 3500rpm!!!

I would definitely recommend this exhaust - slight power increase and gorgeous sound!!!!

And do the install yourself - that way you can give the car a good wipe with a clean cloth! I kno I know - but the underbody is so unbelievably clean!

HKS rules!!!!!
Old 10-26-2002, 08:05 AM

It sounds the biz! Have you got the hardtop on yet? I've had mine on a week now and it's sounds great. I've only got the stock exhaust and I've still got my air box on.

Wooly
Old 10-26-2002, 08:13 AM

No not yet Wooly! I put my hard top back on in September but then we had so many sunny days - I had to take it off again!

I'll probably put it back on mid November

The exhaust sounds really cool - just waiting on the AUS intake extension.

I must admit that the stock exhaust is very heavy and the HKS is quite a bit lighter....
Old 10-26-2002, 08:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice job and good write up NFS! You're gonna really be rockin' when you get that CAI.

Pics??
Old 10-26-2002, 08:30 AM

I will try to take some new pics once I have the intake and front silver grille installed. I will of course be putting them on my website....

Still waiting for the AUS intake!!!!! Come on Wayne!!!!
Old 10-26-2002, 11:44 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

That sounds awesome.....well you know what I mean.......

Wish I had it...
Old 10-27-2002, 01:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good isn't it?

Roll on mid-November when I get my PRM intake - my noise upgrade/conversion will then be complete!
Old 10-27-2002, 01:02 AM

The HKS is just perfect Pete!

These mods are driving me crazy! Every time I get a mod - I say to myself - that's it no more - the car is perfect....

...waiting for the AUS intake extension and front silver grill!
Old 10-27-2002, 06:23 AM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

'twill be there before you know it. Promise!

HKS sounds good. An exhaust might have to be the next addition.
Old 10-27-2002, 06:32 AM

I hope so Aus - I really can't wait to install the extension - should sound really cool with the HKS!

Quick Reply: HKS Exhaust install completed!!!