UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Hindsight and Experience

Old 03-08-2002, 12:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hindsight and Experience

I am thinking about buying an 02.

Current 01 is red/black, no choice as a dealer demo, wanted one quick and rid of 98 Fiat Coupe 20VT quicker ( which was a great car but semed to be being destroyed by each service and repair undertaken by the 'not' specially trained chimps).

Now faced with choice of Silver/Semi Red or Black/Red or Black.

If you have either of these colour options what would you go for next time ?

I KNow that silver is a popular option, the car looks great, but am I right to think it chips easy and if spraying is required it can be difficult to get a match.

Black - everyone says dont buy needs constant cleaning and shows imperfections. What is your actual experience if you have this colour with the S2000 or other car.

Just a though, is black not for people who clean and mega polish their car every wek as most of us seem to do ?

Your comments will influence my choice

Regards

Sean W
Old 03-08-2002, 12:13 AM

To my oppinion black is a very difficult color, you have to clean it every day. It also gets very hot during summer it attracts the sunlight.
Old 03-08-2002, 12:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE]Originally posted by SeanW
[B]I KNow that silver is a popular option, the car looks great, but am I right to think it chips easy and if spraying is required it can be difficult to get a match. Black - everyone says dont buy needs constant cleaning and shows imperfections.
Old 03-08-2002, 12:38 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Subjects seem to be coming in 'flurries' at the moment - yesterday was audio, today is car colour day.

My thoughts on the subject -

Silver - I think silver cars are great - it shows off the lines the best, it is relatively easy to maintain (doesnt show the dirt). Downsides - if you need a panel respray, colour match can be a pain. It doesnt shine as nicely as black or red. Its common.

Black - nothing looks better when clean and well polished. Downsides - high maintainance!!!

Other choices I would consider - I think the white / red looks great. I would also seriously consider yellow / black (yes, really!!!)
Old 03-08-2002, 12:52 AM

Silver? Doesn't look as bad when dirty? Not sure about that with Silverstone. I had reservations about Silverstone as it always looked "dirty" to me. Having said that when clean and in sunlight it looks great.

Red? It looks fine, doesn't stir the juices for me.

Yellow? Too racy for me.

Nurburgring blue? Too pastel-like for me.

Monte Blue? Nice, but 3 of my last 4 cars have been blue with black interior.

Black? You big girls blouses! If you told me 2 months ago that I would be hailing black as a good choice, I would have said, "it gets dirty you know".
I washed mine last Sunday morning, it's 5m outside my window and it still shines. Stand next to it, you see dust all over it - tell me a car that doesn't.

I completely understand all the reservations about full red interior. I wanted a car that was different (silver cars and black interiors are common - no offence!) - if you choose something different then be prepared for the old duffers to shake their heads.

I have black / full red and I would genuinely not swap it. Can't believe how lucky I am to have stumbled on this colour scheme. In fact I feel a little disappointed when I see that I am not the only one (so much for exclusivity).

If someone does make derogatory comments about your choice of car / colour, it says more about them than you.

Besides, there must be a reason in fashion circles why people say that, "xxxxx is the new black".
Old 03-08-2002, 03:03 AM

OK, I dont want to start any kind of flame war here, so I'll prefix everything with :- IN MY HUMBLE OPINION

When I was looking for my car I had the following thoughts.....

Silver....looks great, but most of the S2ks I'd seen had been silver and I wanted somthing different to the others....

Black.....I use my car every day and black is a b'stard to keep clean.....

Red.....dont think the car looks good in red...

so that left MC blue.....Now I hadn't actually seen one when I ordered the car, I'd only seen the colour swatch in the dealership...but when I picked it up I was in love....it looks very smart, you don't have to work hard to keep it clean, it looks good even when covered in mud (almost) and as yet, I havn't seen another one on the road...

Hope this helps, and dosn't confuse! and remember that at the end of the day it's a personal thing.

M.
Old 03-08-2002, 04:46 AM

Hi,
I have a silver with red/black interior and would buy the same again! I clean it maybe weekly or 2 weekly and think it looks great! For the finishing touch get on the DVLA site and get a S200 D?? plate. Mine cost
Old 03-08-2002, 05:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love my silver with red/black interior. I've only seen 2 S2ks in 22 months actually on the road, a silver/black and a red one, so silver being 'common' is pretty acadamic for me. It might be different if I lived in Fleet! Black looks great when it's clean, I had a black 4X4 and as Dog Biscuit said ten minutes after you've cleaned it you can see the layer of dust building up. It's just so much more visible on black. Red with a hard top looks awesome!
Old 03-08-2002, 06:39 AM

I love my silver, more grey/silver than the Merc or BM or Porsche silver, so unusual compared to them. Compared to other S2000's, well, perhaps not so unusual. But it looks good dirty, and to get it to look dirty is quite an accomplishment, and looks great clean.

After all that, I would probably buy an MCBlue next time round, first saw Biker1's last year, and loved it, unfortunately, I think they may become the most common colour this year.
Old 03-08-2002, 09:52 AM

Silver/red last time around, silver/black, this.

I love the way silverstone changes in different lights....despite there being so many about I still love it to bits

When I originally started thinking about an S2 i was sure I wanted a black one with red, but having seen my next door neighbours black carsort of put me off. He is a professional valeter and the work he has to do to keep it looking wicked is amazing....
Still looks the biz when clean tho'
Next time it's going to be Monte Carlo Blue, changes colour just like Silverstone, looks really classy and is no where near as popular, although as Ross mentioned earlier 2002 could be an MC Blue year.

Whichever colour you choose she's still one of the most beautiful cars on the planet with an engine and handling to die for

Have fun ,

Sanjay

Quick Reply: Hindsight and Experience