UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

High Ron fuels make no difference

Old 08-26-2008, 10:58 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by veehexx,Aug 26 2008, 07:35 PM
nothing todo with the ECU learning the way the engine handles the fuel, is it m1bjr?
i'm sure you've already thought of that though!
Absolutely.

I should have added that I did a fuse out ecu reset this time (yesterday actually).
Just to eliminate the obvious, and stubbornly refusing to believe it was fuel again.
Once settled and idle stabilised it was still rough as rats.

Same settings, V-Power in, pulled smoother and idled better.
Another ecu reset this afternoon, re-learn, no discernable difference.

When Pupster gets the scanguages sorted out, we can get some real consumption numbers into a database, that would be cool.
Old 08-26-2008, 11:42 AM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

If it was idling rough then that must have been duff fuel IMO.

Bear in mind that even when on empty, there are still many litres in the tank, so you have a diluted mix.

The difference between 97 (Ultimate) and 99 (V Power) in terms of idle would be minimal, if you think about the combustion of it. It would have to be quite off to make it rough (imo)

When I go for mapping sessions, I have to run 2 full tanks of V Power, if i've been using something else, to get the mapping right.

Optimax, or now V Power, is known to go off quickly for example.

Just IMO
Old 08-26-2008, 11:59 AM

Thumbs up

Agreed Mark, but this on two different cars separated by time and distance?
I dont believe it, too coincidental.
I've used Ultimate before in this S and it was the same but not so pronounced.
It isnt just RON that differs though, we are not only talking det here.
The smoothness and exhaust note on V-Power are different, for whatever reason and I also doubt its a mere 2RON variation.
So, I wonder what is in the additive pack to make such a change?Anyone?
Old 08-26-2008, 12:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2 RON change can theoretically make a significant difference. If you are noticing rougher behaviour on lower RON fuel then I'd start looking at other DET causes like fouling/plugs/Temp as on idle there's very little reason for the car to behave any differently. If it's on more than one car then obviously I'm wrong but it doesn't sound right.

Incidentally I'm pretty sure that most opinions on this topic are fairly subjective as a few ponies and little torque is hard to notice, especially when you factor in the environmentals, ambient temp, air density/pressure and relative humidity. Nonetheless you do get (scientifically) improved performance on higher octane rated fuels for cars that are able to alter for it, the S2k "should" only be able to take advantage of 97+ but Vpower is cheaper than most 97 fuels
Old 08-26-2008, 12:10 PM

But there are no other issues. Motor is fine!
Besides, you would need horrendous issues to get det. at idle.
Detonation is more an issue under load, not at idle...
Old 08-26-2008, 12:16 PM

but if you have dirty plugs or a carbon buildup in the cylinder then could DET not happen at idle? I guess the engine would still have to be pretty warm.
Old 08-26-2008, 12:55 PM

I've never ran the S on anything less than 97 (BP ultimate) and that's only when I've been out of range of a Shell garage. Tesco don't seem to want to bless the midlands with their superfuel. So I can only really compare Ultimate with V-Power, and I don't find much difference.

I would never stoop to 95 with a high revving engine, because it is basically shite. I only ever tried to run the Teg on 97 or above, and on the odd occasion I didn't the car just felt completely out of breath. I think the 5 or so times I did this, the difference in performance and response was so bad that I diluted it with better fuel after about half a tank.
Old 08-26-2008, 01:11 PM

All I have is 95 RON to work with with a help from Prestone octane booster to take it to 96 supposedly. I never have detonation issues, made 190whp on a dyno which everyone says is about right for a stock F20C, and all this around 33dC. You all sure a placebo effect is not in operation here?
Old 08-26-2008, 01:53 PM
MIP

Not the placebo effect
Old 08-26-2008, 02:12 PM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

95 is fine on a UK S2000.

ECU will adjust, and cause it no harm.

Boab, det at idle would be very very unlikely.

I do agree with your angle of thinking about other causes regarding rough idle between 2 fuels. This is what I was hinting at.

BP Ultimate isn't intended to be like V Power, it's main selling point is it's engine cleaning additives, along with the SUL 97 rating.

V Power is meant to be a high performing fuel for high end cars which have engine management that can take advantage of it.

Quick Reply: High Ron fuels make no difference