UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

HID headlight bulb replacement

Old 02-04-2006, 09:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HID headlight bulb replacement

The left side HID headlight has stopped working, I'm presuming the bulb has failed, but it was dark so I couldnt have a poke about tonight to check connections etc. The side light and main beam bulbs both work fine

I've looked in the manual ,and it says to take it to the dealer to have the HID bulb replaced as there could be dangerously high voltages still present in the system even with the ignition off. Does anyone know what this costs? Or has anyone done it themselves.

I've had a search, but couldnt find anyone with the same problem. I'm hoping its just the HID bulb and not the entire unit as they appear pretty expensive.
Old 02-04-2006, 09:53 AM

hmm, done another search and found out a bit more info. Looks like you can replace them yourself, and there appears to be a bit of history with the left side inverter failing on 2000/2001 cars. Mine is a 2001 car.

I'll have a poke about tomorrow, see if I can take the bulb from the working side to determine whether its the inverter or the bulb thats blown.
Old 02-04-2006, 10:10 AM

its hard work to get access to the lights! let us know how it goes
Old 02-04-2006, 12:57 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've been reading up on HID lights in general recently - new set up for my mountain bike. You have to be wary about fitting with HID units as its fired up by the ballast which uses capacitors to generate the juice. These capacitors can hold juice for some time (I have no idea what that would be with the S2000 HID, all I have seen is someone mention 15 mins with a 10W HID unit, and that information could be completely made up too) - don't assume that because the battery is disconnected that there's no juice which could give you a nasty shock!
Old 02-04-2006, 01:42 PM

I wouldn't poke around in there. Good thing that you read the manual first but they wouldn't ask you to take it to the dealer just for fun, be safe and let them have a go.
Old 02-04-2006, 01:51 PM
Administrator

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

If you do do it yourself can you post pics and write a how to?
Old 02-04-2006, 02:00 PM

Removing and replacing the HID xenon bulbs is not easy at all but replacing the ballast is even more of a mission!!

From what I remember- removing the ballast would mean removing the front bumper and the light. The ballast is fixed to the light by four bolts. Three of them are reachable without having to remove the light but one doesn't have enough clearance to be able to get any sort of tool in there. I think with the passengers side the airpump is also in the way.

I'm certain Honda would quote you the labour charge of removing bumper and light to change the ballast if you're not up to the job yourself. The ballast itself from Honda is about
Old 02-04-2006, 02:41 PM
P 1

The service manual (available here) has troubleshooting information and bulb replacement instructions.

HTH
Old 02-04-2006, 02:49 PM

Had a quick look tonight, doesent look that difficult to get to, no need to take the wheel off, just remove the coolant expansion tank and there is a hole in the wing to get to it.

There is a torx type bolt (but with a pin in the middle, so a normal torx bit wont work) holding the cover on.

Will have a proper crack at it in the morning.

I'm not one for going to the dealer for anything other than services, as I dont trust them to not just say I need an entire headlamp unit at several hundred pounds when a bulb would have done. If it looks like I cant do it , I'll take it to a local mechanic that I trust.

Cheers for the service manual info.

Anyone know what the amperage is of these things? volts dont bother me, but big amps do.
Old 02-04-2006, 02:56 PM
P 1

Fuses are 20A.
Voltage = 25,000

Quick Reply: HID headlight bulb replacement