UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Hi from a new member

Old 07-05-2006, 03:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hi from a new member

Hi All

Just joined the forum and wanted to say hello, I'm testing driving a new S2000 this weekend with an almost forgone result of buying one. However, I'm torn between getting a 2004/5/6 model and the possible benefit of an early model and the money I save being spent on Exhaust/Induction/Wheel upgrades. My S2000 will be doing 25000 miles per year so another reason that an older model might be a good idea so as to lower the depreciation hit

I don't like to be thought lazy and have read up in the forums but one part of my research leaves me a little confused. The exhaust and induction options seem reasonably self explanatory, however, after doing a lot of reading about fitting larger than standard wheels on the UK and American forums, there does seem to be a little conjecture as to what the definative answer is when looking at AXIS Se7en Mod 19" wheels for example which I love the look of (see link for them fitted to a 2001 S2000)

http://www.wheelsworld.com/819-2001-Honda-...Axis-Se7en.html

There are those that think that they would fit but would rub or cause significant handling issues and those that don't. Is this really the case and if so is the car shown in the URL just a 'show' car which isn't really driveable ?

So..
Q1. Will the Axis Se7en Mod Wheels fit without major agro or has anyone on the forums fitted them ?
Q2. Is there a great deal of benefit getting a 2004-2006 model over an earlier one

Many thanks

Bit about me :

34yrs old, Dorset based, very close to bournemouth, my previously owned cars started way back with a Lotus Elise S1, then a jap import impreza sti wrx .... etc version 5, then a UK impreza and for the last 4 years a Lotus Esprit S4s which I sold as I needed a fun car to double as a daily driver.. (still hurts 3 months on ) Still a huge lotus fan, club member etc and am/was very close to getting an exige S2 but think the S2000 might be the better way to go

Dan
Old 07-05-2006, 03:32 PM

Welcome along!

I can't help you with the wheels, cos I'm a stock man, but having owned a 2001 for 4 years as a daily driver and having had a 2005 for 3 months as it's replacement, I'm really glad I upgraded. For one, I much prefer the glass screen. It might be smaller, but I can see if that white blur behind me in lane 3 has blue lights on it's roof or not!

I also like the little bits and bobs they've done around the interior. Everyone I know says my new one looks more planted on the road than my previous (probably the colour and larger wheel size), but the main thing I do miss is the marked step when V-TEC cuts in, that has been smoothed out in the 04 onwards, rather than a suddent kick! Best noticed and appreciated in second gear!

Each to their own - I drive mine rather than having a company Vectra... at the end of the day I go to see customers in it whilst wearing a suit. I wanted a convertable and something different.

The suspension handles bumps and pot holes better on the new one which as a daily driver and when you're leaving a customer 200 miles away at 5pm when you're tired is a bonus... although still not really the right car for my purpose, I wouldn't have anything else.

I've never really hammered either of them to their full potential properly to see the advantage of the original raw setup over the "softened down" newer ones (mostly due to the fact that I don't believe I have driving skills to match the cars capabilities, or the will to right the car off trying to see if I have!). Although I did follow Fieldl, Echo66 & Moggy the other month, which was interesting! ("YOU BUNCH OF W**NKERS!" shouted the Golf driver coming the other way!)

Some people have them as fun weekend blasts/ track day cars, rather than daily drivers. I get the impression that such people prefer the older models, but if you're doing 25k a year, I know which one I'm happier in!

Good luck in your quest!

Neil.
Old 07-05-2006, 03:42 PM

welcome to the forum mate

i think most of us oj here would recommend that you don't put larger than 17" wheels on the car. this is generally thought to be the optimum size for acheiving a nice blend of handling, performance and looks.

i recently upgraded MY03 16" wheels to the MY04 17" wheels and had them powdercoated in anthracite (gunmetal) and i love them. car feels much more planted wityh them on and i think they look the business.

18" alloys fit the S without any probs as far as i know but i think i've read stories about 19" alloys rubbing. they will no doubt look good on the car but they really won't do you any favours with regards to handling, ride quality etc.

at the end of the day it's your car so do what you want to it mate. let your conscience be your guide! just don't stick lots of tuner badges all over the car if you haven't actually got any parts manufactured by said tuner on the car. that way lies the dark side. oh yes.

Old 07-05-2006, 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by Neil2k,Jul 6 2006, 12:32 AM
Some people have them as fun weekend blasts/ track day cars, rather than daily drivers. I get the impression that such people prefer the older models, but if you're doing 25k a year, I know which one I'm happier in!
Hi Dan

I would agree with Neil that although purists will argue that you are missing out on a bit of the vtec experience in a later car, if you are doing 25k+ a year as I am, I would rather have that little extra degree of forgiveness for those mornings when I have other things on my mind.

While a later car is no guarantee of extra security, the slightly different suspension set up and the later Bridgestones do appear to help out a bit in the wet.

FWIW on the meets I have been on you certainly don't see the earlier cars shooting off down the road with the >04s trailing behind.

Enjoy the test drive
Old 07-05-2006, 11:16 PM

Erm no the 04+ is no slower than any previous models

Good luck with your search! I'd go for an 04+ personally - it looks better (imo obviously) and if you're putting miles on the car then if you buy a car that already has 40k on it, you're 40k behind the game already.

I suspect that if you buy an older car with 40-60k miles on it, then start putting 25k/annum on it you might hit expensive problems. FWIW I do about 20k/annum in mine and other than some niggling warranty grips it's fine. AE does a lot more though!
Old 07-05-2006, 11:20 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Welcome,

I'd recommend a 04+ for the mileage you are doing you want someone else to have taken the initial hit but still want that newness and extra comfort built into the 04+ models & what do you know:

djS2K is selling his 54 Reg moonrock GT (initial extra for the hard top for the winter months, especially for a commuter like you!) with 25K on the clock for
Old 07-05-2006, 11:27 PM

Have you not given up on the lottery yet Paul?

Your kids must be old enough to fit in the front of an S2k by now!
Old 07-06-2006, 12:48 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Bassoctopus,Jul 6 2006, 07:27 AM
Have you not given up on the lottery yet Paul?

Your kids must be old enough to fit in the front of an S2k by now!
no the lottery is still my work out and S2000 in.

Girls are old enough from about 2 years old to go in the front with a good fitting seat.

But two girls are a bit harder to fit than one....

So I need to keep the Golf (
Old 07-06-2006, 01:04 AM
Administrator

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Don't put 19" wheels on they are FAR too big for the car. Of course some USA Pimps might.

17" for go 18" for show.

Welcome along
Old 07-06-2006, 01:25 AM

Hi All

Thanks for the very warm welcome and for your advice, very much appreciated, I think I'll stick to a standard 2004-6 model with just an exhaust/induction upgrade eventually. I'm liking the black and moonrock cars. I have seen the following :

2004-54 HONDA S2000 2.0 i [Alarm] 2dr Convertible

Quick Reply: Hi from a new member