UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Hesitate acceleration & poor fuel consumption

Old 02-28-2007, 10:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by m1bjr,Feb 28 2007, 07:04 PM
Seen the news tonight mate?
Not a laughing matter for a lot of motorists, maybe you are affected?

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=466599
I've been following this news item with great interest.

Cheers for the link.

I've been reading a bit about this, and it seems to only have been petrol from Tesco stores, and most drivers talk about a "complete loose of power", where I still could drive my S, but I could sense a very slight drop in power, but only at lower revs. The rest of the rev range is fine. Also Honda didn't mention anything about contaminated fuel.

I must admit I've learned my lesson. I won't be using supermarket fuel again.
Old 02-28-2007, 10:45 AM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Its not the fuel on eother of your cases.

MB
Old 03-10-2007, 11:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well I finally got round to fitting my replacement o2 sensor. Sure enough since I put the new one in, its has made a massive difference to the car. It no longer kangooroos at low revs, and it pulls so much better across the rev range.

Replacing the o2 sensor is a easy enough job. Just jack the car up at the front and use at least a pair of decent axle stands. If you have ramps that's better as your right under the centre of the car, and you need some arm room to get to the sensor and electrical plug.

The first thing to do is unplug the connector which is located alongside the gear box. There are two indentical plugs so make sure you get the right one. The o2 sensor is the one that plugs into the end of the manifold BEFORE the CAT, so just follow the cable to the plug.

The plug in the foreground is for the sensor in the CAT. You want the one at the back. You need to push the top tab down, and I used a flat bladed screw driver to seperate the two halves. Becareful, and don't pull on the wires. You'll notice that both these plugs are attached to a bracket. So you'll need to push another tab in to free up the connector which is attached to the o2 sensor. This was located on the underside of the plug.

Then use some pilers to free up the two cable clips.

Then use a 22mm open ended spanner to undo the o2 sensor. You will find that taking the sensor out is impeded by the cables, as they don't want to let the sensor twist as you undo it. A racket spanner would be ideal for this job.

Now as I purchased a non OEM sensor, the cable wasn't long enough, and it didn't come with a plug. So I simply chopped the existing cable in half, and chrimped the two ends of cable together. The new sensor had four handy chrimps in place, and it's a simple job of matching up the coloured wires.

Then to install just screw the new sensor in place, and plug the conenctor back together. Then used a cable tie to ensure the cable wasn't flapping about under the car. I then reset the ECU by pulling the fuse marked 7.5 in the third from top position in the right hand bank from the fuse box. This is located in the drivers footwell.

This is an easy enough job to do, and took me a couple of hours to do. You don't need much mechanicial knowledge to do this, just time and space. I purchased my sensor from here.. Many thanks to Dark Blue Mark for his advise above, and for providing me with the link. Your after the "Four Wire Universal Lambda Sensor". And with VAT and p&p it came to
Old 03-10-2007, 12:01 PM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Good guide there Jamie.

Glad its all sorted!

MB
Old 03-10-2007, 01:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=j8mie,Feb 26 2007, 06:58 PM] 10/10 - Mark. Sure it enough it's the o2 sensor that's failing.

They want