UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Helps with Squeaky Brakes

Old 03-18-2003, 08:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Helps with Squeaky Brakes

Just had the Hardtop off this last weekend and it feels like a whole new car with the top down. Anyway, I've noticed a very high pitched squeak almost everytime I apply the brakes (more apparent when braking hard). It seems to be coming from my left rear wheel. The sounds was not as noticeable with the Hardtop on, but now with it off and and the soft top down, I sound like a Black London Cab!!!!

I've got a 02 Reg June 02 S2000GT with currently 5k miles on the clock, so I'm sure I can't have worn out my pads.

Anybody with similar problems? Should I be worried? Dealer visit on the cards?

(It's annoying the hell outta me)

TBC
Old 03-18-2003, 09:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Isabelle

Sept 02 3.9k have the same problem.

Took the wheels off yesterday and cleaned the disc's. No cure. So I would like some advice please.

Dave
Old 03-18-2003, 09:29 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Same cure as any other car with disc brakes. Check the anti-rattle plates, and apply a bit of copper slip.

Edit: Oh and if you're using Honda brake pads, check for wear first - the wear indicators are metal strips that create a high pitched noise when they reach the discs....

-Brian.
Old 03-18-2003, 09:36 AM

could check to see if a small stone is lodged between the pad/disc. or
have you glazed the pads, if so take out rough up with emmery cloth,and re-fit. wont hurt to rough up the disc as well.
to avoid breathing in dust buy a small tin of brake/clutch cleaner
and wipe the disc/pad with it. it will evaporate quite quickly. ( highly combustable/inflamable).
dave
Old 03-18-2003, 11:01 AM

I've had exactly the same problem. All disc brakes do it, the trick is the get the noise above the range of the human ear, hence the copper slip or shim suggestion.

Gary
Old 03-18-2003, 11:46 AM

I also had the a similar problem, and having just got the car back today from Honda they have fixed the problem. I did ask them what they did, and was told the discs were lightly oiled. I didn't press them for any details. From what I gather it seemed relatively straight forward.
Old 03-19-2003, 12:39 AM

Not noticed it with the S, but on my previous car it was something due to the hand brake not self-cleaning. The cure was to drive at low speed pull on the handbrake, until it starts to bite keep driving for a few hundred meters, then release the handbrake.
Old 03-19-2003, 03:27 AM

I've been squeaking since purchase. Got really bad this week after my weekend ABS experience.
Old 03-19-2003, 04:43 AM

A quick fix is to spray some WD40 on the disks and then go for a gentle drive and apply the brakes. It used to work a treat on my dad's old car. It was nearly always dust and stuff trapped between the pads and the discs.
Old 03-19-2003, 05:03 AM

I'll give that a go tonight and report back in the morning.
Cheers N4S

Quick Reply: Helps with Squeaky Brakes