UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Help_Have been summoned to court

Old 08-19-2003, 06:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help_Have been summoned to court

Have received a summons to appear in court for speeding. Not even sure how fast i was doing. When the ticket came through, thought they were just going to issue a ticket and give me 3 points, unfortunately they have asked me to appear in court as it cannot be solved by a fixed penalty fine. Does that mean it's very serious?

Should i hire a lawyer? Has anyone else been through this?

DB
Old 08-19-2003, 06:42 AM

Cue MT...
Old 08-19-2003, 07:02 AM

I read somewhere that they use a formula of 10% of the posted speed limit plus 2 miles and hour therefore, in a 30-mph limit, fixed penalty tickets are issued for speeds of 35mph and above.
If you are caught driving at excessively high speeds there is no offer of a fixed penalty ticket and are summoned to court, which usually does mean a ban.
My b/f was summoned to court a few years ago, doing 101 on M5. He received a month ban and had to take part in a one day driver course but received no points.
Is it true that the police have 6 months to issue a ticket or summons from the time of being caught ?
Old 08-19-2003, 07:15 AM

Originally posted by syclark

Is it true that the police have 6 months to issue a ticket or summons from the time of being caught ?
I believe that they have 14 days to notify you for a fixed penalty from the date the offence was commited. This can be extended if they have trouble tracking you down ie could not read the plates or company car.
Old 08-19-2003, 07:28 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by dragonball
[B]Have received a summons to appear in court for speeding. Not even sure how fast i was doing. When the ticket came through, thought they were just going to issue a ticket and give me 3 points, unfortunately they have asked me to appear in court as it cannot be solved by a fixed penalty fine. Does that mean it's very serious?
Old 08-19-2003, 07:39 AM

Question. How does having a months ban on your driving record, but no points compare with having 6 points on your license?

1 months ban sucks, but after it's done, your license is clean and you're back on the road ready to start totting up again ;-)

....or will the insurance companies all tell you where you can shove your group 20 car?
Old 08-19-2003, 07:51 AM

[QUOTE] [I]Originally posted by
Old 08-19-2003, 08:05 AM
GSi

Mark Turner, you got a job that gives you the knowledge or you had first hand experience??
Old 08-19-2003, 09:24 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

If it's really bad, it may be worth considering the not signing the declaration ploy (while it still exists).

Or not being able to remember which of your Kosovan mates you lent it to at the time...
Old 08-19-2003, 09:44 AM

Originally posted by syclark
I believe that if you've been caught by a police officer, and received a verbal NIP / NIP at that time, they have 6 months to bring a case against you. Bit foggy on this.

Wait, wait, it's all coming back to me now :

The police have to serve a summons on the defendant within 6 months of the date on which the prosecutor (normally the CPS) certify that they have collated enough evidence to bring a charge. This does not mean that the police have 6 months from the date of the offence to charge the accused. My advice to anyone who has received a summons more than 6 months after the alleged offence is to request a copy of the signed and dated certificate of prosecution from the Police/CPS. For a normal common or garden speeding offence with no complications I can think of absolutely no reason why the prosecution should not issue a summons within 6 months of the offence. Notwithstanding the above, the Prosecution must bring proceedings within 3 years of the alleged offence. The NIP 14 day rule still applies for Gatso and other devices, where you are not stopped and warned of proscecution at the time of the offence.

Quick Reply: Help_Have been summoned to court