UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Help wanted - discs change

Old 12-10-2010, 06:35 AM
UK Moderator
UK Moderator

Received 307 Likes on 262 Posts
Default Help wanted - discs change

This is a cheeky request to see if anyone would be kind enough to help me out with a brake discs change sometime next weekend 17th/18th.

I have all the necessary equipment to change the pads, as well as an impact driver for the disc screws but, as I haven't attempted changing the discs before, I'd love to have some "adult supervision" for the task.

I am happy to provide beer tokens!

Old 12-10-2010, 06:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its DEAD easy!

I'd never done it before but it really is a revelation. Take your wheel off and give the retaining screws a whack with the impact driver to dislodge them. Unscrew and pull off the old discs. Replace with shiney new ones and reapply the screws.

My front screws had heads like chewed gum so just drilled them out. They aren't load bearing so still getting round to replacing them with no ill effects.

Honestly LG, the biggest effort is taking the wheels off and the satisfaction is deep.
Old 12-10-2010, 06:49 AM
UK Moderator
UK Moderator

I've heard that "It's easy" expression so many times before, and things usually go wrong/involve blood and swearing when my ham-fistedness comes into play, hence my request for supervision.
Old 12-10-2010, 06:57 AM

Understandable cockle.

I had never used an impact screwdriver before, so my tip for this is to twist the driver anticlockwise and push in to maintain tension in the screwhead as you whack it.

Good luck.
Old 12-10-2010, 06:59 AM
Banned

If I was closer.... This really is a simple job. You would have to have a whole arm made of gammon and not just a fist to screw it up...
Old 12-10-2010, 07:01 AM
UK Moderator
UK Moderator

Thanks, you don't know me very well!
Old 12-10-2010, 07:14 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

LOL @ Exalto

Saying its easy and then you never done it before and also forgot to mention to remove the brake callipers!

I'll be at the Mase tuning event on the 17th so if you're there I can give you a hand, its a simple job and nothing to panic about :]

Joeh
Old 12-10-2010, 07:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I can do it...

You're a bit far for me to offer adult supervision though.
Old 12-10-2010, 07:16 AM

Simon, I know you are now a dab hand at changing pads, and changing the discs is a simple addition to that process. There are step by step photo guides to doing it on here (somewhere, you can search!). I changed my discs using those pics, and I'm not a mechanical genius either. My tip would be to whip the wheels off the day before and apply plenty of WD40 or similar on the disc retaining screw, and the 2 bolts, to make removal easier. Sorry you are too far from Brum for me to come and offer moral support in person. Enjoy!
Old 12-10-2010, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by Joeh,Dec 10 2010, 04:14 PM
LOL @ Exalto

Saying its easy and then you never done it before and also forgot to mention to remove the brake callipers!

I'll be at the Mase tuning event on the 17th so if you're there I can give you a hand, its a simple job and nothing to panic about :]

Joeh
It's true, I'd never done it before, but I did it and, indeed, found it easy.

Didn't mention callipers as OP specifically asked about discs.

HTH

Quick Reply: Help wanted - discs change