UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Help please - new owner, advice needed.

Old 06-20-2006, 01:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help please - new owner, advice needed.

Hi, I'm new to this and could do with some urgent advice as I'm getting very stressed. I recently sold my E36 M3 EVO and after much thought decided to buy an S2000 on the basis of fun and reliability having faced some hefty costs with the M3.

Anyway as I'm very busy and just missed out on a private sale of a very low mileage 2002 S2000, I decided to buy one from a Honda main dealer. It was pretty much the same - 12/2002 GT with 18,500 miles. Anyway just as I pulled up from the test drive I noticed a bit of a noise from the transmission/gearbox but as it was on a slight hill and at low revs I thought it might just be struggling a bit having been used to the M3. Anyway I asked them to check it between me paying the deposit and finalising the deal and picking it up but made them write it on the receipt as a query raised.

On collecting the car the technician said it was nothing to worry about.

Having driven it for 2 weeks I went to Honda in Manchester yesterday and they've said that it's definitely not right and that it's probably a gearbox problem and possibly the clutch - it whines and clunks too much on changing. It hasn't ahad a proper inspection yet but they think it might need a new gearbox.

This is worrying me as it makes me think it might be indicative of a car that's been hammered given the low mileage.

The question is what should I do. I am thinking my options are:

Let them change the gearbox under warranty and keep the car (though I am a bit worried about it now)

Exercise the 30 day exchange option - though my understanding is that this must be for the same or higher value and would I get the
Old 06-20-2006, 10:44 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Normal most of this, BE WARNED the gearbox was the most problem area for a lot of people...once you let Honda have a go at it...Find out it that Garage is good, a bad one will make your car worse in a lot of cases..

The whine may be the clutch, it was a warranty issue, ringing on revs dropping through 4000 to 2000rpm. Never a catstrophic failure, I got mine done to co-incide with a gearbox oil change to save paying for that later

FAQ is a good source of info. when it works.
Old 06-21-2006, 02:05 AM

All S2000 gear boxes are notchy and clunky, mine is especially from cold.

What is it doing that you may think is not right?
Old 06-21-2006, 02:43 AM

Demand my money back - can I do this?

If it is a Honda approved car then it should be under a 30 day refund policy. That does not acutally mean that you get your money back. It means that you can use your purchase price for another.

Be quick and don't let that 30 day period expire.

They can source most of the UK cars via Honda UK. The dealer will hate you if you go back on the 30 day rule. But it is a franchise standard and unless things have changed the dealer stands to lose 0.5% of new car sales turnover if they don't honour it.

Good luck.
Old 06-21-2006, 02:50 AM

If the gearbox whines or the clutch is dodgy, then change it! It screams wrong, wrong, wrong.

You will never be happy with it. Bite the bullet and get another on the 30 day rule.
Old 06-21-2006, 05:02 AM

Thanks, I've spoken to the dealer and arranged to take it in on Monday for their "award winning technician" to have a look. They've noted my complaint and I've confirmed it by fax. As I reported the problems withing 14 days I will try and get my money back under the sale of goods act otherwise I think I'll definitely utilise the 30 day rule as long as they get me a decent deal on an alternative.

Having carefully checked the problems I am getting notchy gear changes even when warm, a whining and also this kind of grinding sound at low revs in first and second. Also quieter in neutral when clutch depressed. When reversing slowly on and off the clutch there's knocking and when then putting foot on the brake having reversed there's a knock from the passenger side rear wheel area.

Added to that whilst reversing slowly on and off the clutch and if I rev slightly when stopped the revs often drop to almost stalling point before the management system picks up again.

All in all I doubt I'd ever have confidence in this car as it may be indicative of having not been looked after so will probably end up getting another low milegae 2002 GT or maybe pay a bit more for a low mileage 2004 GT - what do you think? Though still would like cash back to give me freedom to hunt around.

Do you think I have just had an unlucky experience? If so, I'll stick with the S2000 otherwise I might have to reconsider my choice of car.

Thanks for the help.

Dan
Old 06-21-2006, 05:09 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

The GB IS noisy on S2000s, especially if you're used to a BMW.

But that does sound excessive, from your description.

Check the FAQs above - the rear hub splines can loosen & clunk, but they shouldn't knock.

Get to a meet & have a ride in someone else's car for a yardstick.
Old 06-21-2006, 06:58 AM

Received 654 Likes on 569 Posts

the rear pads click on mine, they move in the calipers. not a problem, just moderate annoyance.

also the drive shafts should be re-torqued at the back, these can make a clicking noise.

the gearbox is a little whiny.. imagine it's somewhere between an elise and your M3.. refinement is not really the strong point of the S

in winter it can get notchy, in summer it shouldn't be.. it's usually a bad sign.
Old 06-21-2006, 01:23 PM

Thanks, I won a competition that meant I had an Elise for a week but I don't think the box on this is normal. The noise from the rear could be the pads. My M3 was an SMG so difficult to compare anyway. Due to the combination of things I'm going to change the car anyway for peace of mind - hopefully from a refund as I feel a bit duped having raised the issue as I left the deposit.

I've not had any response on the rev dropping thing as yet - any comments?

I must admit that I am a little concerned about the number of gearbox issues there seem to be as one of the main reasons for me deciding on an S2000 was the Honda realiability (and as I don't think I could live with a vx220 turbo day to day and E46 M3s with a warranty and low mileage are just too much, oh and the Boxter S at the same price are old and generally out of warranty plus the image). Should I stock with the S2000? Am I just having bad luck? Should I spend a little more for an 04 version?

All help appreciated and I'll let you know what happens with the dealer.
Old 07-18-2006, 04:08 AM

Thanks for the advice - I thought I'd let you know how it turned out.

I kept being offered newer more expensive cars and though I quite liked one, the price they were asking was OTT so I made a good offer. They turned this down and I also then found the sills were damaged from incorrect jacking so wasn't interested anyway.

I had a meeting with the manager and principle where they basically said I could go the legal route if I wanted or they had another newer car in later in the week for more money.

I called the next day and said forget showing me newer more expensive cars and find me a similar one to the one I'd bought but without any problems. They then said that they had since met and decided to refund my money - result!

I think the reason for this other than my persistence was that I had noted the potential problem before buying the car and insisted this was noted on the deposit receipt. They had then said there wasn't a problem but later admitted there was.

Anyway I've now found an absolutely mint 54 plate GT that although it wasn't my first choice colour is just what I was looking for - all I can find is one very small stonechip on the front spoiler. A well looked after car. The price was about