UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Help needed, options/advice for a blown supercharged F20c engine

Old 08-06-2019, 04:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoVTEC
Hard luck fella, sounds like a rotten piece of luck.

No comeback from wherever you got the car from?

i would second the new engine route over the rebuild one all day long. Not a great record of rebuilt reliability with F20Cs.
Was a private sale that I found on eBay but brought cash outside of eBay unfortunately (so don’t have a leg to stand on really). Guy wasn’t willing to help with costs of repair at all

what makes the f20c such a hard engine to rebuild reliably, out of curiosity?

thanks
Old 08-06-2019, 04:47 AM

Originally Posted by Jayc87
Drop a used f20c in. Be quickest way to be driving again. But before you do..a diagnosis as to what caused the failure is needed. Did you check oil level and other basics?
Oil was good when I brought it but was low when it went, I drove a good 100 miles home but didn’t even think to check the oil levels on the third day of owning it. I know they burn oil but with it being at the full mark 2 days before I didn’t check it the day it went

so so may we’ll have been oil starvation as the map had been in the car and tracked a few times for a couple years before I brought it.
Old 08-06-2019, 10:16 AM

Received 655 Likes on 570 Posts

Originally Posted by Ottis
1)Places to source and second hand engine from ?
try integrastella but it wont be cheap or find a crashed car

2)Is there any work/servicing thats recommended for particular milages of second hand engines i.e 80k motor needs xyz, 100k motor will need xyz) bearing in mind im going to strap a SC to it.
watch the oil , watch the AFR, watch the temps

3)Recommended engine builder and/or tuner in england (im based in birmingham put can travel)? either for remapping the SC to second hand block or if i go down the rebuild and turbo route.
AJI tuning will remote remap for you

rebuild i would try the mad buggy dude or daytona but i dont know whether they would advise you to do it...

as said i think as low a miles, compression tested engine, a check of the tune, wideband, oil temp and pressure gauges..

good luck
Old 08-07-2019, 10:25 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Was a private sale that I found on eBay but brought cash outside of eBay unfortunately (so don’t have a leg to stand on really). Guy wasn’t willing to help with costs of repair at all

thanks
Which car was it mate? I've bid on and contacted buyers for the last 6 months or so. Not the burgundy one surely?
Old 08-08-2019, 02:28 AM

Originally Posted by shantybeater
Which car was it mate? I've bid on and contacted buyers for the last 6 months or so. Not the burgundy one surely?
Yes mate was a burgund one with matching hardtop, goldish/bronze rota wheels, spoon style front wings.
Old 08-08-2019, 02:41 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That looked like a really nice motor, i was kicking myself when i missed the sale, you beat me to him by a day!!

Do you think foul play was involved? or just coincidence? I'm no expert with these cars but from plenty of reading, a second hand engine appears to be the way to go, rebuild just seems to carry many risks with lots of horror stories over the net.If you go for a later engine don't forget the crank end float issues.
Old 08-08-2019, 08:59 AM

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

If going turbo and putting mega.money into it.. convert to a k series as they cheap and aftermarket support is massive compared to the f series.
Old 08-08-2019, 01:27 PM

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

thanks
From a ‘nuts and bolts’ perspective
nothing makes it too hard, but good reliable engine building comes from tight tolerances, accurate measurements and most importantly; not rushing or cutting corners. The sleeves used in the F20 are a consideration if you have to hone etc, but if yours is ‘just’ a spun bearing you might get away with some work on the crank and not have to touch the bores etc.

I think a lot of the problems with rebuilt engines are down to less diligent builders.
Old 08-09-2019, 04:17 AM

Originally Posted by shantybeater
That looked like a really nice motor, i was kicking myself when i missed the sale, you beat me to him by a day!!

Do you think foul play was involved? or just coincidence? I'm no expert with these cars but from plenty of reading, a second hand engine appears to be the way to go, rebuild just seems to carry many risks with lots of horror stories over the net.If you go for a later engine don't forget the crank end float issues.

Thanks for the info dude, I'll look into the crank end float issues you mentioned, by the sounds of it its best to stick to the ap1 engine if i go down second hand replacement engine route.

I don't think the guy thought she was gonna go so soon i but feel like he knew the engine was going in that direction. Like maybe it was bruning alot more oil than used to which motivated he's decision to sell.
Old 08-09-2019, 04:18 AM

Originally Posted by TangoVTEC
From a ‘nuts and bolts’ perspective
nothing makes it too hard, but good reliable engine building comes from tight tolerances, accurate measurements and most importantly; not rushing or cutting corners. The sleeves used in the F20 are a consideration if you have to hone etc, but if yours is ‘just’ a spun bearing you might get away with some work on the crank and not have to touch the bores etc.

I think a lot of the problems with rebuilt engines are down to less diligent builders.

Makes sense, thanks for the info pal.. alot to consider...

Quick Reply: Help needed, options/advice for a blown supercharged F20c engine