UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Help needed, options/advice for a blown supercharged F20c engine

Old 08-05-2019, 03:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help needed, options/advice for a blown supercharged F20c engine

Hi,new to the forum and need so help/advise,

I brought a track oriented 2001 supercharged S2000 with 100K on the clock, running 390bhp with printout. 3rd day of ownership lost vtec and bottom end started knocking

I appreciate I could find the answers to a lot of my questions on the forum which I will be doing over the next few weeks but I'm working every spare hour I can to raise the money to get the car back on the road and I have health issues which limit screen time. Coming from FI mx5 background so know very little about Honda’s and the financial stress this has put me under is making this whole thing rather draining. Hence I'm hoping someone here can save me some time and energy by sharing their experience/knowledge/opinion.

2 rebuild quotes so far have been over £5000, the idea of spending that much money to have the same car back makes me feel sick. So I’m either looking for cheaper solution to get the same car/power back on the road or options on creating something special/better (i.e higher power rebuild, stroker kits, ls1 swap etc).

Need advise on (inc cost/ power/torque / reliability and any experience of owning/driving please )

• Recommended tuners and engine builders (i'm based in Birmingham, UK but will to travel anywhere to keep costs down and/or get quality service.
  • Rebuild options & considerations (i.e lower compression pistons? Forged rods? Cams? Who to get done by etc)
  • Engine replacement .(buying a secondhand f20c) Is there any extra work involved dropping a f20c2 in as have found a low milage 2007 engine and gear box on eBay for ok money?
  • Engine swaps (engines, adapter plates, recommended garage/tuners etc, I can off set what ever money I can get for the scrapped engine and the supercharger kit plus the money I would have spent on a rebuild. Going to look into a ls1)
  • Stoker kits

Car is a track car that will have weekend fast road use, not interested in MPG/noise/economy, want all modifications to be performance orientated. looking for reliable 400BHP or more if it makes sense relative to the cost & reliability.

I know im asking for a lot of information here but I appreciate any and all advice, I hope to refine my options and relevant questions as I start making decisions based on the advise i get here and research that I do over the coming weeks.

Thank you in advance
Will add the full spec of the car/supercharger kit soon (can’t find the listing atm) off memory its got 1000cc injectors, AEM v2, Rotrex SC kit, intercooler, etc).
Old 08-05-2019, 04:35 AM

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Shame that it has happen so early on owning the car, and if your only looking for a reliable 400 stay super charged and drop a used lump in

Because it is supercharged you would be best of getting a second hand engine and putting that in. If you were Turbocharged i would say build the motor and go big power ( you wont get big power 600+ from a supercharger)

There is s2000power in Halesowen who has spare engines but hes away till next week. you will probably be looking at 2.5k - 3k for a used engine

some have rebuilt the engine with sucsess some have not ( what is the damage to the engine in the car now ? )

2007 engine would have a few different sensors and cam cover and is DBW but if you swap the bits off the Launched engine to the newer engine it will work

A Few more folk will be along to help you out with your decision soon
Old 08-05-2019, 04:50 AM

Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts

After having rebuilt an engine, I would probably say buying a low mileage donor motor is the shortest path to be back up and running while minimizing costs/time being rebuilt. For me I had nothing but time sourcing parts and working with a machinist but still the downtime with my limited resources was over a year. The problem wasn’t really execution time but rather needing parts here and there.

Swapping an engine with a crane take about 5 hours give or take. More depending on skill of the installer.
Old 08-05-2019, 06:10 AM

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

Drop a used f20c in. Be quickest way to be driving again. But before you do..a diagnosis as to what caused the failure is needed. Did you check oil level and other basics?
Old 08-05-2019, 08:41 AM

Received 655 Likes on 570 Posts

used engine.. rebuilds are £ and risky
Old 08-05-2019, 01:04 PM

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

Hard luck fella, sounds like a rotten piece of luck.

No comeback from wherever you got the car from?

i would second the new engine route over the rebuild one all day long. Not a great record of rebuilt reliability with F20Cs.
Old 08-05-2019, 01:26 PM

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

I would also get the map checked over before running the engine again. The tune might be fine but its worth getting everything checked over for peace of mind
Old 08-05-2019, 01:32 PM

Received 655 Likes on 570 Posts

Originally Posted by markforrester99
I would also get the map checked over before running the engine again. The tune might be fine but its worth getting everything checked over for peace of mind
this is sage advice too.. and if you dont have a wideband get one
Old 08-06-2019, 12:23 AM

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Sounds like Oil pressure related issues with their being no VTEC then bottom end knocking.

I'd honestly just bang in a 2nd hand engine from a breakers with a good few months warranty on it. I am on engine no 3 now myself, 1st one spun rod bearing and 2nd one dropped spark plug tip in engine whilst running so I feel your pain.

I made a start on engine rebuild work, but honestly getting a hold of parts was a nightmare, even a friend in a reputable Honda dealership was struggling/long waiting times on OE parts.

These cars are not rocket science to work on. The workshop manual is freely/readily available so start having a read into it.
Old 08-06-2019, 04:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you all for your time and responses, much appreciated.

I have narrowed it down to two options:

1) Second hand replacement block and chuck my SC kit back on.

2)I have a friend that have a turbo setup rated to 800+ bhp and wants to swap for my SC kit as he doesn't want anymore power than 350-400bhp or the costs of building an engine to handle more power than that. This is tempting as i much the drive of turbo and as i have an engine that needs building i can justify turbo'n her and having the potential to push the power over the coming years. I drove a 400bhp mx5 for awhile and would enjoy being able to push on to 500 then 600 etc in the future.

SO QUESTIONS:

1)Places to source and second hand engine from ?

2)Is there any work/servicing thats recommended for particular milages of second hand engines i.e 80k motor needs xyz, 100k motor will need xyz) bearing in mind im going to strap a SC to it.

3)Recommended engine builder and/or tuner in england (im based in birmingham put can travel)? either for remapping the SC to second hand block or if i go down the rebuild and turbo route.

4)Also if you have any advise/experience you could share for building the engine for turbo application (i.e stronger sleeves, low compression pistons, rough cost etc) that would be appreciated.

Thanks again peeps, i hope to give back the the community here in the future now i'm fully committed to my s2000!

Quick Reply: Help needed, options/advice for a blown supercharged F20c engine