UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Help needed with first purchase

Old 05-23-2013, 06:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It was indeed around the 28k mark new however the end of run 09's were being sold for 18k by a few dealers, there's evidence if this on the forum if you have a dig through, some people got absolute bargains!

The 08/09 engine threads also make good reading and will give you enough information to make an informed decision. All I'll say is read lots and lots about them and don't be swayed by the low mileage of this particular one. I'd rather purchase a well looked after pre 06 with low miles and full history than an 08/09, but that's just my opinion. It could turn out to be a fantastic car if you get the price right though.
Old 05-23-2013, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by Johnnn
Originally Posted by hex90' timestamp='1369240694' post='22559747
As far as different alloys go, these should be mentioned to your insurer. Wheels are considered modifications.
The reason behind this is that if you ever do have an accident and they were not advised, they would only pay out on the cost of the standard wheel(s) affected.
If the insurance is advised (albeit your premium will likely go up a bit), they will pay out on the wheels if still in stock or provide a fair and reasonable settlement if you need to get a whole new set to make them all the same (not new stock).

Thanks hex90.

I'll make sure I amend the info for my quote - the car would not look good with odd wheels! They also seem to be 18'', so this would also have to be disclosed. The engine compartment also has an AEM cross brace fitted and has blue hoses rather than the usual black. I suppose these also need disclosing to insurers? The spoiler is quite large - would this have been an optional extra when new?

Thanks,

John
In regards to any other non-standard parts, I cannot see these being an issue and I doubt they would make much difference to the premium. As for the spoiler, I am afraid I don't know the original optional extras so hopefully someone else can advise.

As the others have said though, a car with so little mileage even though being worth more money than something with a higher/more normal mileage for the age will likely have more problems than the latter due to parts seizing from non-use.
If I was at work I could advise a price on what the car should be worth for the age/mileage compared to average miles. I'll try to remember to do this tomorrow.
Old 05-24-2013, 12:52 AM

I have just checked the market figures:
For a 2008 (08) GT model, these were new at £28250.
The average mileage for the vehicle now should be 53k miles and at that mileage is £11600.
But the adjusted miles to 6000 is £14220.

So going on those values, the sale price is correct. Do you know how often the car was driven at least? If it was only popping to the shops every day or two then it should be fine but if it was a weekend car only, the low mileage is a little worrying for seizing parts.
Old 05-24-2013, 01:01 AM

There was an EU CO2 regulation thing that meant that the new cars had to be sold/registered by a certain date.

Consequently the last batch of cars were sold at around £18k to shift them. This seemed a bargain until the engines started going pop.

At 5 years old even with that mileage the car is due for a full service with plugs in the next 12 months ~ £500. It should also have had a valve clearance check at 27k.

I'd also not assume the suspension bolts are fine. Get those checked especially at £14.5k.

And because of the 08/09 engine I'd budget putting a Honda warranty on for another 3 years. It may have the problem but it hasn't had a chance to materialise yet. Also VSA modules are known to die and that'll cost you £1500. So the warranty could easily pay for itself. Not sure if you can put the Honda warranty on the car with the patchy service history though.

Good luck
Old 05-24-2013, 03:33 AM

Originally Posted by hex90
I have just checked the market figures:
For a 2008 (08) GT model, these were new at £28250.
The average mileage for the vehicle now should be 53k miles and at that mileage is £11600.
But the adjusted miles to 6000 is £14220.

So going on those values, the sale price is correct. Do you know how often the car was driven at least? If it was only popping to the shops every day or two then it should be fine but if it was a weekend car only, the low mileage is a little worrying for seizing parts.

Thanks hex90 - very useful. I cannot go to see it today due to work commitments and I'm away on holiday next week, so it will be the week after before I can arrange anything. I'll ask how often driven, but the first owner, I believe, worked away from home at least some of the time so may not have used it in the week. Would seizing really be likely for once a week use? Which parts are susceptible to this?
Old 05-24-2013, 03:48 AM

Originally Posted by Bassoctopus
There was an EU CO2 regulation thing that meant that the new cars had to be sold/registered by a certain date.

Consequently the last batch of cars were sold at around £18k to shift them. This seemed a bargain until the engines started going pop.

At 5 years old even with that mileage the car is due for a full service with plugs in the next 12 months ~ £500. It should also have had a valve clearance check at 27k.

I'd also not assume the suspension bolts are fine. Get those checked especially at £14.5k.

And because of the 08/09 engine I'd budget putting a Honda warranty on for another 3 years. It may have the problem but it hasn't had a chance to materialise yet. Also VSA modules are known to die and that'll cost you £1500. So the warranty could easily pay for itself. Not sure if you can put the Honda warranty on the car with the patchy service history though.

Good luck
Thanks Bassoctopus. More useful info to negotiate with! A local Honda dealer told me there would just be a quick inspection/check before they would sell a warranty and didn't seem worried by the service history, but I'll get a firmer commitment on this before going ahead. Unfortunately though, the car is 250 miles from where I live, so I'd either have to get the seller to get the warranty before buying or risk the drive back home and then do it.

I need to get a better understanding of the 08/09 issue now I've got more time. Does anyone know whether all 08 cars are susceptible? This car was registered in April 09 so would be an early one. I don't suppose there is a list of affected engine serial numbers anywhere ?
Old 05-24-2013, 03:54 AM

How about getting a trusted Honda dealer to inspect it for warranty (and try and move the suspension bolts) before you travel to buy? Could save you a fortune.

And if those bolts are moving, get them greased asap. It'll save you a lot of problems in the future.
Old 05-24-2013, 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by Nezquick
Personally, I wouldn't worry too much about seized bushes - this can be sorted and is not urgent if it drives straight.

i couldnt disagree more. siezed bushes means you will stuggle to get decent a decent geometery.

replacing all the bushes will mean about £400 and the likeyhood is they would have rusted through the adjuster bolts etc so all new bolts will be about £500.

so now youve spent £900 and you havnt fitted them, unless you can do it yourself which i take it you cant you will be looking at 4hous labour per wheel.

heating, cutting, unstickig the rusted and ceased bolts and bushes.

I have just been through this shit with my car. if they are ceased.... dont buy the car.
Old 05-24-2013, 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by SCharged2000
Originally Posted by Nezquick' timestamp='1369239468' post='22559701

Personally, I wouldn't worry too much about seized bushes - this can be sorted and is not urgent if it drives straight.

i couldnt disagree more. siezed bushes means you will stuggle to get decent a decent geometery.

replacing all the bushes will mean about £400 and the likeyhood is they would have rusted through the adjuster bolts etc so all new bolts will be about £500.

so now youve spent £900 and you havnt fitted them, unless you can do it yourself which i take it you cant you will be looking at 4hous labour per wheel.

heating, cutting, unstickig the rusted and ceased bolts and bushes.

I have just been through this shit with my car. if they are ceased.... dont buy the car.
Is there a quick way of determining seized bushes when looking at an S2000?
Old 05-24-2013, 06:25 AM

[/quote]

Is there a quick way of determining seized bushes when looking at an S2000?
[/quote]

Its awkward when its not your car really yo uneed to get under it.
see if they wil let you jack it up and take a wheels off then check the bushes for rust and the bolts, if they let yo uthat is,

check the lower ones first - i would guess that if one on each side is fine then they would all be fine.

it is pretty important to get a decent geo reading for your car.

Quick Reply: Help needed with first purchase