UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Help needed to convince GF its ok to buy an S

Old 08-01-2005, 06:56 AM
Eni

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help needed to convince GF its ok to buy an S

Hello all...

I have been looking into getting an S now for around a year and have eventually got into a financial position where we can afford to get one..hurrah.
The only thing that now stands in the way of VTEC bliss is my lovely other half.

We currently have two cars, she has a V reg 1.4 clio which she uses to get to/from work and I have a W reg 2.0 focus which I use evening/weekends as I walk to work. We bought a place together a few years ago and most of the decorating, expensive stuff has been done (currently doing bathroom..woot).

She likes the S and prefers it to all the other 2 seater convertibles in this price bracket and below..(what can I say, she has taste). The problem is that she "cannot justify spending 'that amount of money' on a car that will sit outside for most of the week."

She likes driving her little clio to work as its easier to park so prolly wouldn't drive the S to work. As I don't drive to work it will be an evening/weekend car, which suits me fine...but thats where the "sit outside for most of the week." clause comes in......

I need your help to give me some persuasive arguments to convince her that getting one is the right thing to do....

She likes the idea of having a fun/sports/convertible car....but it comes back to the same point.

I have used the driving holiday around Britain/Europe etc. argument which she likes the sound of...but still back to the same point...

HEEELLLPPPPP!!!!!
Old 08-01-2005, 06:59 AM

Mine sits outside unused for most of the week but that's what makes it so special.

The moment you get in and put the roof down you instantly start smiling. Going places no longer is a chore at the weekend, it's exciting.

The acceleration is exhilerating and the car looks great.

Has your other half actually been in one under full VTEC, sun out - roof down mode?
Old 08-01-2005, 07:00 AM

Offer to buy her some Jimmy Choos then see what she says!
Old 08-01-2005, 07:02 AM

So is the focus not just a
sit outside for most of the week
car??
Old 08-01-2005, 07:05 AM

The smile factor when you get in the S and push the button is immense every time you drive it, whether it is every day or just at w/e
Old 08-01-2005, 07:07 AM

If you have the money / funds available then why not get a car you like?

Afterall how much time does one spend in the house awake on an average day? And how much does a house cost these days?
Old 08-01-2005, 07:13 AM

I can see her point of view, and to a degree I agree. It depends how tight the finances are - if you can easily afford it, then cool, although assumin git's joint money you're spending it should be a joint decision.

If it is a stretch to support it financially, perhaps a Caterham is more suitable as a toy?
Old 08-01-2005, 07:15 AM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Birds love my S - they hated the Subaru. One refused to get in it!

Threaten to buy a Subaru

MB
Old 08-01-2005, 07:18 AM

Try the following:

Take her out for a few test drives when the sun is shining

Tell her that if you look at getting a 99 or 00 the prices have come down a lot so not going to break the bank.

Also currently Honda's (supposedly) are not depreciating as much as other marks at the mo, so you won't loose so much money on it, compared to the focus, sitting out the front

Good luck
Old 08-01-2005, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by Eni,Aug 1 2005, 03:56 PM
(currently doing bathroom..woot).
what colour is your bathroom?

Quick Reply: Help needed to convince GF its ok to buy an S