UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Help with facelift centre console retro-fit. Heated window button wiring

Old 05-06-2020, 05:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with facelift centre console retro-fit. Heated window button wiring

HELP! Anyone retrofitted a facelift centre console with all buttons to a pre facelift S2000? I’m sure some of you are out there somewhere?! I need help with the new (facelift) heated rear window button wiring please.

The facelift heated rear window switch has a different plug and different coloured wiring to the pre facelift one . The plug itself isn’t a problem as I have got one from a breakers with a little wire left on it to solder on to but none of the wiring colours tie up so I don’t know what I am soldering to what! They both have the same number of wires (5). Has anyone done this and can tell me what wire goes to what please? Also I have noticed that the original pre facelift switch is two position. You press it down and it clicks down for on. Then when you press it again it pops up for off. The new facelift switch appears to be spring loaded and doesn’t stay down when you press it. I have heard mention of some sort of relay with timer on facelift cars, so the heated rear screen turns off after a set amount of time. The pre facelift cars don’t have this, as the heated screen will stay on indefinitely unless you turn it off.

Just need help with this wiring then the retro fit is complete.

For reference, anyone else doing the same thing as me: the hazard button and roof button are exactly the same so you can reuse your existing plugs/wiring. No mods needed there . The headlight washer button is different (with a different plug) and this moves from the centre console to the dash (to the right of the steering wheel Opposite side to the rear fog light switch). I have wired this up already as all the wires are the same colour so easy to match up. Also you can pull the cabling through for this from the centre console area to just under where the stereo is if you are careful. This will leave you enough cable to then run to the new switch position and solder on to the wiring on the back of the plug (make sure you get plug with a little wire supplied with the new switch). The only wire you can’t pull through this way is the solid red wire. This is shared with other switches due to it being the illumination circuit for when the lights get turned on. You could either run an extension wire for this under the leather or do what I did and tap on to the same Solid red wire under the stereo.
Old 05-06-2020, 09:52 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MirrorJohn
I have heard mention of some sort of relay with timer on facelift cars, so the heated rear screen turns off after a set amount of time. The pre facelift cars don’t have this, as the heated screen will stay on indefinitely unless you turn it off.
I can't help with the wiring I'm afraid, but I can at least confirm the above is correct and that the facelift HRW is indeed timed.

Good luck.
Old 05-07-2020, 01:55 AM

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

I believe there was a thread somewhere on this, might've been this one but pics are gone now so i dunno:
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/uk-irela...pgrade-994242/
Old 05-07-2020, 02:06 AM

Originally Posted by Irish TuneR
I believe there was a thread somewhere on this, might've been this one but pics are gone now so i dunno:
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/uk-irela...pgrade-994242/
I’ve found that guide but without photos/wiring diagram it doesn’t help unfortunately. I’ve found the original S2K thread (in Greek) on the Greek sub forum that this guy must have referenced, but there is no mention of what this 6th wire they have soldered on is actually for. My S2K only has 5 wires in the OE plug (like the facelift plug).

surely someone in here has done this mod?
Old 05-07-2020, 07:49 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Reading through the thread linked to above, isn't the extra wire used to illuminate the bulb in the facelift switch?

Also, if you are not already aware, the facelift switch has 2 bulbs in, one that comes on with the headlights, and one to show the HRW is on (not sure if pre-facelift has similar).
Old 05-08-2020, 01:13 AM

Originally Posted by you reds
Reading through the thread linked to above, isn't the extra wire used to illuminate the bulb in the facelift switch?

Also, if you are not already aware, the facelift switch has 2 bulbs in, one that comes on with the headlights, and one to show the HRW is on (not sure if pre-facelift has similar).
Pre facelift switch is exactly the same in terms of lighting. They are both 5 wire. Two wires for switch illumination when headlights turned on. Two for power and 5th is switched power when you turn the switch on.

looking at the wiring info on the switch that I can find, the power light should illuminate when it is turned on. I have kind of backed this up by finding a wiring configuration that seemed to work (by trial and error before blowing the fuse)! When I pressed the facelift button down the indicator lamp did light up, however as soon as I released the button it turned straight off!

This guy just hacked around his original button and changed the cover:

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/uk-irela...n-work-922984/

Although this looked like it works, involved lots of gluing and using the wrong button body in the console which won’t fit correctly hence needing lots more gluing! I would rather get the proper facelift button to work if I can.

This is the thread from the Greek forum where he has apparently done it:

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/%CE%97%C...wiring-832276/

I don’t speak Greek. Google translate doesn’t really help much. I believe his OE button is 6 wire rather than mine which is 5 wire (like the facelift switch). I can’t work out if his facelift button modification he shows is just to create an extra 6th wire?