UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Help, clicking from rear brakes and Technical questions

Old 05-03-2004, 01:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help, clicking from rear brakes

I've done a search and found some info, but not sure I have the same problem.

When I reverse the car and then touch the brakes there is a single click sound from the rear wheel. Then when I travel forwards and press the brake for the first time I hear the same sound again.

After that the sound goes away until the next time I reverse the car.

It seems like the pad could be moving in the caliper so when I reverse the pads is shifted to the back of the caliper as I press the brake, and then it moves to the front of the caliper when I press the brake for the first time when going forwards.

Does this sound reasonable?

I had the rear pads replaced about 1500 miles ago, but not by a Honda dealer, and not using genuine Honda parts (got them from a motor factor for less than half the price of OEM).

Will this invalidate any warranty work that may be required?

Cheers

Si
Old 05-03-2004, 01:46 AM

I have this exact same problem now. Changed rear pads about 2k miles ago - no problems but an annoying squeal. I took the pads out last weekend and applied a liberal smothering of copper grease. The squeals stopped, but I now have the exact problem you describe. This weekend, I took them out agian, removed most of the grease and "adjusted" the seating springs in the calipers - they were fine for 1/2 day, but I am not back to the clunking noise.

I also have a knocking nosie from the rear when going over larger than average bumps. I think this may also be the rear pad knocking in the caliper, but am not sure. The only 'rear knocking' info I can find on the board is to do with loose drive shafts. I have checked these and the near side moves across the horizontal plane by about 1/4 inch, the off side seems fine. I don't know whether to get the hub nuts tightened 'just in case', but I reckon the noise is the pad hitting the caliper.

I don't have the Honda pads, I went for Ferodo (is that how you spell it) - they are identical in shape and size (obviously) to the Honda ones I took off.

Be interested if anyone has a fix for this - I don't really want to take it to the dealer if I am not convinced it is the drive shaft...

Thanks.
Old 05-03-2004, 02:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Muz in Aus has something similar at the moment ...

http://forums.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.p...threadid=201454

Could it be the drive shaft splines? I had a clicking from the rear and that is what it was.

HTH,

- Adam
Old 05-03-2004, 06:31 AM
Administrator

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Simon, I have what sounds EXACTLY the same.

I've been told by 2 people here it is the piston being wound in too far. but I have talked to George at Crown, who fitted my pads (Porterfield R4S) and he has re-itterated to me twice that it isnt that - he's checked them twice and says it is the shims. It isnt dangerous, apparently, but it is damn annoying.

Adam - i had your clicking too and had that fixed - mine isnt that, it is the brakes

We should meet up and compare noises!! You going to the Herts meet on Thursday?
Old 05-03-2004, 06:53 AM

i had the same problem on my merc sl and it was put down to the pads (non merc) moving forward or backwards it was quite loud at times
Old 05-03-2004, 07:00 AM
Administrator

Yeah - as it is non OEM pads, my dealer is just blaming them, despite many other people, FLetch, biker1 etc never having probs with R4S pads Unfortunately I know not enough to take em off and put em on again
Old 05-03-2004, 07:24 AM

Originally posted by Karl2k
I also have a knocking nosie from the rear when going over larger than average bumps. I think this may also be the rear pad knocking in the caliper, but am not sure. The only 'rear knocking' info I can find on the board is to do with loose drive shafts. I have checked these and the near side moves across the horizontal plane by about 1/4 inch, the off side seems fine. I don't know whether to get the hub nuts tightened 'just in case', but I reckon the noise is the pad hitting the caliper.
I also have a very small knocking noise which I have yet to track down. one thing you should check first is to get the suspension bolts re-torqued I know this has helped Eibutler among others but not me
Old 05-03-2004, 07:51 AM

So is anyone with a suspected pad/caliper knock hearing the knock when going over bumps of just when changing direction and braking? I supect the two are linked, but not 100% sure.

As I siad, I really would rather spend the money on some wax than re-torquing drive shafts if this is not the case...

Thanks
Old 05-03-2004, 07:57 AM
Administrator

Only when braking - usually after a change of direction or standstill - which leads me to think it is something like calipers moving in the shims
Old 05-03-2004, 08:27 AM

Originally posted by Karl2k
As I siad, I really would rather spend the money on some wax than re-torquing drive shafts if this is not the case...
My dealer re-torqued the suspension bolts for free. I didn't buy the car from them either

Quick Reply: Help, clicking from rear brakes and Technical questions