UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Help! alarm/unlock problems

Old 08-21-2004, 03:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by C7BLE,Aug 21 2004, 11:38 AM
ITS THE BATTERY!!!!!
How so?

(I think the alarm might actually have been going off during the week while the car has been in the garage)

Should I disconnect the battery when I leave the car then, until I get it fixed, in case it plays up again?
Old 08-21-2004, 03:57 AM

Originally Posted by C7BLE,Aug 21 2004, 10:49 AM
the voltage does seem low Euan I would expect to see around 14 .

and a failing battery would cause the alrm to do all sorts of things, remember I had mine replaced (actually I can't think of anything on the car I haven't had replaced)
I'd only expect to see 14 is the car was running TBH.
Just checked mine with car off and nothing running I got 12.5V... My old Saab was the same, would always see between 11 and 12V with engine switched off, depending on what electrics were on, IYSWIM.
11.9 is a little low, but not *that* bad, and if anything was running then it's probably fairly normal...
Old 08-21-2004, 04:50 AM

Originally Posted by euan,Aug 21 2004, 11:44 AM
How so?

(I think the alarm might actually have been going off during the week while the car has been in the garage)

Should I disconnect the battery when I leave the car then, until I get it fixed, in case it plays up again?
It depends if this model alarm has a voltage drop sensor (info on the factory alarm is scarce) but the fact your voltage seems to be a little on the low side makes me think it could be the battery, it's ok when the car is running then you park and the voltage drops beleow the threshold and off it goes.

could be one of the shock senors I suppose.

There should be an alarm disable switch and I would guess it would be in the control unit. which I think is under the seat (does anyone actually know what they are talking about with this alarm, this is a fair bit of general knowledge and guesswork on my part)

The easiest way would be to leave the door slightly ajar, the alarm doesn't arm in this circumstance (IIRC)

Again I need to find some decent info on the Honda alarm.
Old 08-21-2004, 05:32 AM

There's no mention of alarm disable switches in the handbook for the HUK alarm IIRC.

It's going to the dealer on tuesday anyway, so I'll just have to get them to look at it then.

Are new batteries a warranty thing, or is it wear and tear?
Old 08-21-2004, 08:37 AM

Did mine under warranty....
Old 08-21-2004, 08:51 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Only just spotted this one.
Euan, I reckon you must have been really bad in a previous life to have all the problems with this car
ROFPML at Euan locking himself in his garage
Old 08-21-2004, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by eibutler,Aug 21 2004, 04:51 PM
ROFPML at Euan locking himself in his garage
Well I did see the funny side of it - I was considering calling on Thunderbird 1 from Falkirk as he was the nearest. But he would never have believed me

Its just as well the alarm had stopped at that point - being stuck in a locked garage with your car alarm going doesn't bare thinking about.

Anyway - if I am late for breakfast on WBT, it will be due to one of two reasons :

1) I DID find those 3 Swedish hitchikers...

or more likely...

2) I managed to lock myself in the hotel room.
Old 08-21-2004, 10:07 AM

I once found myself inside my Triumph Spitfire in my drive with the car's gearbox on my lap but unable to open the door wide enough to get out. Trapped. Dropped the roof and clambered out eventually.

I have a Clifford alarm. It has a 'feature' that gets me. If, while the alarm is armed, you 'pop' the boot using the button on the fob - the Clifford fob - the Clifford fob that came with the Clifford alarm - the alarm decides the car is under attack and sets the alarm off. Great.

Hope you get sorted. Let us know what the problem turns out to be.
Old 08-21-2004, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by euan,Aug 21 2004, 05:37 PM
Well I did see the funny side of it - I was considering calling on Thunderbird 1 from Falkirk as he was the nearest. But he would never have believed me

Its just as well the alarm had stopped at that point - being stuck in a locked garage with your car alarm going doesn't bare thinking about.

Anyway - if I am late for breakfast on WBT, it will be due to one of two reasons :

1) I DID find those 3 Swedish hitchikers...

or more likely...

2) I managed to lock myself in the hotel room.
I'm always available to come round and laugh at you!.

Call anytime 24x7
Old 08-21-2004, 12:26 PM

Well the story doesn't improve....

I got home, parked up in the garage, closed the door, walked to my front door and the ing alarm went off again.

In order to avoid antagonising my neighbours I have had to leave the car relying only on the immobiliser and lack of key (can you lock the door manually without setting the alarm?) . Car's booked in for bumper on tuesday anyway, but it basically means I can;t use the bloddy thing until then as the alarm will go off if I am away from my secure garage and have to lock it.

If a Boxster S wasn't such poor value for money against the S I would be replacing my Honda with one in 10 months time.

Quick Reply: Help! alarm/unlock problems