UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

HELP!

Old 04-15-2012, 08:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP!

Just had a bit of a mishap with a kerb and the left rear wheel was going round a left hander fishtailed a bit and there was a loud BANG as it hit!! Seems to drive ok nothing feels obviously different, the only thing is that the steering is slightly out- when the wheels are straight the steering wheel is about 30degrees to the left! does anyone have any insight as to what would be causing this and any other, possibly hidden, damage I may have caused in my moment of stupidity!

Thanks
Old 04-15-2012, 08:54 AM

If the front wheel hit the kerb then hopefully it's just knocked your tracking out. Possibility it's bent a trackrod, but they aren't much money.
Old 04-15-2012, 08:55 AM

if you hit your left rear wheel, how is your steering wheel tracking out?!

Is the car now crabbing down the road, is the rear wheel bent in at all?
Old 04-15-2012, 08:56 AM

Thanks but it was the rear left that hit the kurb thats why im a bit confused as to why the tracking is out?
Old 04-15-2012, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by gbduo
if you hit your left rear wheel, how is your steering wheel tracking out?!

Is the car now crabbing down the road, is the rear wheel bent in at all?

no crabbing did a brake test too seemed good, rear left doesnt look abviously buckled or bent just heavily grazed!! i jacked it up to have a look the wheels are turning ok and cant hear any odd noises etc
Old 04-15-2012, 09:07 AM

That is very strange, the tracking is definitely out if the steering wheel is off centre when the wheels are straight. I just can't work out how that can happen when you hit the rear!

Very strange.

Anyway, I would take it to a garage to get a full alignment done to ensure the geo is still within spec and reset your tracking.
Old 04-15-2012, 09:20 AM

This happened to mine a couple of years ago. Same wheel, and yes, the steering wheel was out. Because the rear wheel is sort of steering the back end of the car one way, you now have to compensate by steering the front wheels the other way. I took mine to CG in the end, and they sorted it out for me. Mine was utterly dangerous to drive in the snow! the back end was over steering while i was driving in a straight line! it also behaved a little odd when I hit a pot hole with the back wheels.
Old 04-15-2012, 11:23 AM

The rear left wheel is trying to turn the car right as it is now pointing out, hence you need to the steer the car left to keep it in a straight line.

Your car is now crabbing up the road and the rear tyres won't last very long. Will be something bent under there, quite likely subframe damager too.
Old 04-15-2012, 11:44 AM

Received 655 Likes on 570 Posts

it doesnt sound good, get the geo checked and they'll tell you what is bust, it sounds like at least you've bent something on that back wheel
Old 04-15-2012, 12:13 PM

You will have defo bent something on that corner, one of the following,, top wish bone, lower wish bone, track arm, or hub, as said above the car will be crabbing hence your steering wheel out of plumb, get you geo checked, if just the toe is out then it could be the track arm or hub where the track arm secures, if the camber and track is out it will more likely be a wishbone,,, as a quick check string the car and you will quickly see if it's out.

Quick Reply: HELP!