UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Helmets

Old 05-25-2013, 03:06 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Helmets

I'm browsing online at helmets as I'd rather have my own than one that's has 100 sweaty heads in before mine. Is there anything in particular I should be looking for? There seems to be vast differences in price and I don't want to spend a lot for the odd track day here and there but is it a case of you get what you pay for? Taking short cuts when protection of your head is involved is something I definitely don't intend to do!

TIA
Old 05-25-2013, 03:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have a arai rx7 gp pretty much the best bike helmet money can buy, but if it was me for track id be getting myself a simpson bandit or Simson Diamondback,

Every helmet has a date inside or under where the strap is, cheap helmets last 1-3 years expensive 5years, check shell of for cracks and scraps (Drop a helmet once is knackered) it creates a flat spot on the polystyrene and if you crash the pressure goes straight into your head, Take liner out, look at the polystyrene (Skull cap) if there is white blotches then its a well sweaty used helmet

I race so do have a bit of knowledge on this stuff (English no racing yes)
Old 05-25-2013, 04:18 PM

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

I got an OMP helmet for about £80. It meets all the regulations required for trackday's. Its pretty light and i didnt have any issues with it during my trackday.
Old 05-25-2013, 05:29 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by davemr2
I have an arai RX7
So do I, but for motor sport or carting I prefer the Arai SZ.

Old 05-25-2013, 11:19 PM

I thought a bike crash helmet wasn't suited to car use due to the way they are constructed and point of impact they are likely to sustain.

Buy the one that fits well and is comfortable. Then go on price. How much do you value your head.
Old 05-26-2013, 12:12 AM

Arai GP-5W, Bell R5Pro, Sparco WTX7 or Stilo ST4.
I have used Arai and Sparco from above and once or twice boroughed and wore stilo and bell. All of them were very similar in comfort but looks wise I love Stilo and Sparco. Price wise they all are very similar between £6-700s.
Overall If I have to choose I did say Arai Gp5w.
Old 05-26-2013, 12:18 AM

Received 654 Likes on 569 Posts

Unless you spend big money a lot of the bike stuff is more pricey because its more comfy, quieter, has removable interior and is a sponsoring brand
They all offer good protection as tested (*). A lot of car drivers use open face but if you crash the old adage is you open your face..
Arai and Shoei are the big brands, they are different fits so usually one will be a much better fit, go to a bike kit dealer and see

* having written off a bike with a pretty cheap lid on i can confirm this
Old 05-26-2013, 01:06 AM

Originally Posted by davemr2
a simpson bandit or Simson Diamondback,

Some say you'll look like a massive tw4t at the local trackday....

V2 helmets are SA approved and a good price.

http://www.v2sport.com/

I run an OMP Grand Prix (The helmet in my avatar).

And a Shark Race Pro-R which has all the trick from removable linings to a varying thickness optically correct visor.
Old 05-26-2013, 02:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've done a similar thread last year on this I think? I ended up buying an Arai GP5-X I used the SHARP website and it told me that the GP5-X scored 5/5 stars. Thats good enough for me!
Old 05-26-2013, 02:38 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

For occasional track days, just find a cheap one that is a genuine helmet with the safety marking on - once found, google it and see reviews from owners to see if there are any problems.

Don't buy second hand - not worth the risk. How much do you value your head? If you're trying to save money, this isn't the corner you want to cut.

Go to a bike shop and try them on, I know they don't have to be as comfortable in a car as on a bike, but different brands make different shapes for different heads.

I found Arai the most comfortable. Mine is so comfortable in fact I have once or twice forgotten I'm even wearing it!

Quick Reply: Helmets