UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Hello and please help - alarm/central locking prob

Old 10-04-2010, 01:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hello and please help - alarm/central locking prob

Hello everyone! I've read these board for ages, and have finally replaced my boxster with an s2000. It's a 1999 JDM, with aftermarket Clifford 300 alarm... and i love it.

I had it about a week and everytime I started her up, the doors would lock. One drive home, I fiddled with the locking switch in drivers door. I then used the buttons on the fob when I arrived, and i'm not sure what i've done. The result is:

- Door locks in both doors operate fine when using the key in the door.
- Door locks work perfectly in passenger side when fob is used. There is no reaction from the drivers door with the fob - not even a sound.

To lock the doors i either have to use the key and them arm the alarm. Or finish driving, get out closing driver's door, go in passenger door and lean across to press lock button in driver's door, close passenger door and press fob button to lock passenger door and set alarm.

Neither is ideal. What have I done? Can I reset the alarm and would that help? Because it was working perfectly until I had my 'moment', it must be technical rather than a fault.

Please, please, please help. I've spent the an hour and a half using search, but nothing quite matched.
Old 10-04-2010, 01:58 PM
UK Moderator
UK Moderator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry to hear of your woes

If the fob that you are talking about is the Clifford one, then it sounds like you've accidently reprogrammed one of the outputs of the alarm.

It seems that you best bet would be to go to a car alarm place that does Clifford alarms, and they should be able to sort it out very quickly.

Good Luck
Bharat
Old 10-04-2010, 02:21 PM

Failing that it could be a solenoid in the locking mechanism.
Old 10-04-2010, 02:57 PM

when you manually lock the car then later disarm the alarm do both the door remain locked or do they unlock?
Old 10-04-2010, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by BSM139,Oct 4 2010, 01:58 PM

Sorry to hear of your woes

If the fob that you are talking about is the Clifford one, then it sounds like you've accidently reprogrammed one of the outputs of the alarm.

It seems that you best bet would be to go to a car alarm place that does Clifford alarms, and they should be able to sort it out very quickly.

Good Luck
Bharat
Thanks for your reply. I went down to a local place who mainly played with the fob and door lock, and then decided it's something wrong with the lock in the door. I would have strongly thought it is something to do with the programming of the fob, more than anything else.

Especially as it was perfect before I fiddled, and not perfect immediately after. Should I try another shop? Does anyone on here know enough about Clifford alarms to advise? I've got the manual, but it's instructions aren't clear enough for someone who knows little about alarms.
Manual found here if anyone can help...
http://www.directeddealers.com/manuals/og/...00uk_owners.pdf
Old 10-04-2010, 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by OLLIeCRX,Oct 4 2010, 02:57 PM
when you manually lock the car then later disarm the alarm do both the door remain locked or do they unlock?
Thanks as well for the reply.

I get out the car. Lock the car with the kay in drivers door. Both doors lock. I then press the fob to arm the alarm. Alarm is on and both doors are still locked.

To get in I disarm the alarm with fob, use key in the door.
Old 10-04-2010, 11:34 PM

Drivers door central locking solenoid, happened to me and to others.
Old 10-04-2010, 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by Mother Theresa,Oct 4 2010, 11:34 PM
Drivers door central locking solenoid, happened to me and to others.
Thanks for another quick reply, these forums are great. The Porsche attitude was much more - just pay the dealers to fix it!
I'm taking the doors apart in the next week or so to fit the new speakers, are there any tests I can do to test the solenoid whilst the doorcard is off to check it's that before I buy a new one?
Also, is there a specific s2000 parts website? Solenoid easy to fit myself? I'll do a search unless anyone knows of a how-to.
Old 10-05-2010, 04:27 AM

Hi everyone,
Just to update:
I've spoken to 2 of my local clifford alarm experts (did a search on the clifford website), and one said it's the aftermarket motor, and the other said it's the Honda actuator.
Honda want £83 for the actuator, plus a further £45 fitting. Sounds an awful lot for the actuator.

Does anyone else have any idea what it could be, or a guide to fit an actuator?

Cheers everyone
Old 10-05-2010, 07:52 AM

i`m a clifford / toad / alarm fitter of 9 years. The worst you could do by fiddling is change the locking pulse from short to long or from positive to negative (which would blow a fuse).... and even to manage that you would need to go through a series of tables and settings

The s2000 doesnt need an aftermarket motor, as the remote locking can be controlled from the module inside the car.

the easiest thing to do is strip your door, if you see this :

then someones fitted an aftermarket actuator, which I have done in the past, mainly in the first ever s2000 installs i did, when the wiring wasnt common knowledge, or I was having trouble and stressing!

however, even with an aftermarket actuator that has failed the OEM setup of "lock drivers door, lock all doors" should still operate as is.

so without seeing it, what mother theresa says would sound correct from here, the oem honda door solenoid has packed in.

Quick Reply: Hello and please help - alarm/central locking prob