UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Hello! New 2008 On Order

Old 04-18-2008, 06:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hello! New 2008 On Order

Hello all, I'm new

I ordered a new 08 S2000 GT in Moonrock on Wednesday. Now waiting eagerly for next weeks delivery!

For the last 10 months I've been driving a little plastic Smart Roadster Brabus. I got this because of the 45mpg and low road tax after being made redundant last year. It is a fun drive, though could do with more oomph (its not modded). Unfortunately Roadster aren't very reliable, and mine has a leak that we haven't been able to totally eradicate. I basically bought it with my head, not my heart. In the past I've had a Clio 172, CTR and an RX8, and I miss that level of performance and comfort, so have decided to get an S2000.

I have how ever had an odd experiance with my local dealership, where upon their internal politics are having an impact on my experiance with them (are you sitting comfortably?).

On Friday I went into the dealership to organise a test drive. Spoke to the Wiley Old Salesman and he told me that I'd have to wait 2 weeks. I thought at the time that perhaps he didn't think I was serious, because hell, if I was a salesman I'd be looking to get a potential customer in a car asap.

I spend the weekend researching my options, and decide that yup I want an S2000 subject to it being a comfortable seating position for me (6.2", long legs, a bit of excess body mass ). I had some time to spare on Wednesday lunch time, so I phoned the dealer in the morning and asked to speak to Wiley Old Salesman. He wasn't there, it was his day off. No problem says I, I'll deal with anyone - and explained to the voice on the end of the phone that I wanted a test drive and didn't want to wait 2 weeks. He says that they can sort something out and to come in a couple of hours.

So I go the dealers at the allotted time and meet Young Whippersnapper Salesman who had an 2006 version ready for me to test and we take it out for a longish drive and have a good natter about it and other subjects along the way.

We get back, haggle out a price and do the deal...and shake on it.

Sorted.

Today Young Whippersnapper Salesman calls me to say that the whole deals being passed over to Wiley Old Salesman. He's obviously a bit down about this being I presume he would be loosing his commission, not to mention the satisfaction of following the order through from deal to delivery. Now honestly, if Wiley Old Salesman had wanted my business he should have not fobbed me off with some rubbish about having to wait a fortnight for a test drive. And its not Young Whippersnapper Salesman's fault I called back when Wiley Old Salesman was having his day off. And besides, I spent a maximum of 10 minutes speaking to Wiley Old Salesman, whilst I spent 2 whole hours dealing with Young Whippersnapper Salesman.

Who deserves the deal more I ask you?

So I have refused to be handed over to Wiley Old Salesman.

Surely the dealership shouldn't essentially be handing me between salesman because of their own internal politics? What do you think?

PS - I've leached a lot of info from this forum whilst deciding which new car to get...so thanks all
Old 04-18-2008, 06:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As long as you get your car, I wouldn't loose too much sleep over it.

One car salesman is as bad as another

Oh and welcome
Old 04-18-2008, 06:11 AM
LTB

I'd do exactly the same too.

Tell the Dealer that you either do the deal with the young guy or the whole thing is off.

Two weeks wait, I've never heard such utter shit in my life.
Old 04-18-2008, 06:11 AM

Personally, if it is relating to commision, then the young salesman should get the commision in my opinion.

What did the older guy do to sell the car! Nothing but turn you way for a 2 week delay! They are lucky you didn't go elsewhere to do the deal.

The young guy took his time, helped you out and he worked for the deal. He should get the cash!
Old 04-18-2008, 06:14 AM

Good for you, nice read too
Old 04-18-2008, 06:14 AM

I wouldn't give a toss about either of them. Best plan of action is to punt the deal around other dealers and try and beat it - that'll determine who deserves the deal.
Old 04-18-2008, 06:17 AM

Thinking about it I when I bought mine from Exeter Honda they were reluctant to let me test drive on when we popped in on the Sunday we saw it. We were young and I was scruffy and I suspected that as well as them being down on numbers is was partly due to them not considering me serious enough.
It turned out that I couldn't get back again for a test drive until the following weekend and then the salesman (Mike Jackson - VERY nice, helpful guy) would be on holiday. After a bit of pushing he took me out, and guess what... I went back just before closing the next day and bought it!

At the end of the day these sales poeple need to make the effort and never judge their buyer!
Old 04-18-2008, 06:30 AM

My vote is for the younger guy; the old chap didn't give a stuff about you until money became involved. Suggest they share the comission at a rate relative to the time spent with you & older guy gets 7% for his 'time'
Old 04-18-2008, 06:45 AM

Thanks for the feedback all

It's not like I'm a youngster myself (40 in June :| ), and any decent salesman should know that theses days you cannot judge peoples means by their age or clothes they wear. Maybe it was because I arrived in my Smart...

Anyway, I was going to go to another dealer, but rang these guys on Wednesday to give them another chance and the younger salesman came through for me.

He just called back and said the car will be in and ready lunchtime on Friday (25th). Guess I'll be having the afternoon off then
Old 04-18-2008, 07:04 AM

I dealt with three dealers when I was purchasing.
First dealer was quite helpful but couldn't source the car and offered a 20 week factory delivery. He was pushing to sell me a car but it had the wrong specification interior.
Second dealer totally uninterested, didn't return my calls. Didn't come across as very knowledgeable about the 'S' and I suspect he wasn't taking me seriously and thought I wouldn't buy new.
Third dealer. Extremely helpful, sourced the car to my spec and delivered within 2 weeks. Although I had some issues post delivery, they did step up to the mark and resolved them to my satisfaction.
Needless to say, I wouldn't touch dealer two with a barge pole. Dealer 1 is my most local and are OK. Dealer three gets my vote. They have proven themselves so far and I will be using them as my first choice for my after sales needs.

Moral of my story is. First impressions count one hell of a lot. If you are not 100% comfortable with the buying experience, go elsewhere. There are good dealers out there who understand that the S2000 is their top end product and you should expect pre and post sales service to reflect that.

By the way. and welcome. Don't forget to join as a member, read the FAQ and post some pics when you take delivery.

Quick Reply: Hello! New 2008 On Order