UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Hello and Goodbye

Old 02-26-2004, 03:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe this stupid chap selling the engine should have made that clear to start with. Idiot. AFAIK you can't reverse your bid now that the auction has ended. The seller will contact ebay and will ask you setlle the account and if you don't pay the seller gets his listing fees refunded.
Old 02-26-2004, 03:48 AM

Bit late on this thread, but just want to confirm that HPI or or any other similar register (Experian Car Data Check and Carwatch) will NOT be able to use this information. What we can do is:

1. Alert for mileage anomalies which may occur as the new engine will have a lower or zero mileage.

2. Inform the person completing the check of the car's orginal engine number. Since this will be different the buyer should/would be suspicous.

Your car will not be worth the standard used car price even if it has got a new engine as its history will looka little patchy. I think you will need to knock a couple of grand off the normal price for a car of this age.

HPI / Experian supply the following information when completing checks:

Vehicle Description (inc Year of Manufacture / date of first reg, VIN, engine number etc)
Keeper changes
Colour changes
Import / Export / Scrapped info
Condition (CAT A/B/C/D) Write off data
Stolen marker
High risk register
Finance Info
Plate Change

Hope that clears things up, and good look Radron sorting your car, I was sorry to read this

[EDIT] Just noticed you have sold the car, so I am very late please don't be put off Honda's, as I am CERTAIN that EVERY manufacturer would have reacted in the same way, what I am saying is buy a new 04
Old 02-26-2004, 05:14 AM

I hope I don't get flamed for saying this, but I can sortof understand HUKs perspective on this.

Even being a car modder myself I can still appreciate that I/we can hardly expect Honda to warranty an engine which has been modified outside of whichever specs they decided to warranty it on in the first place. The cars themselves must've gone through extensive bench testing originally to ensure that it was even possible to warranty them for 3 years economically.

I actually think Hondas attitude of "you're covered as long as the modification isn't the direct cause of a problem" is lenient considering the legal position they are in. Whilst I'm no legal expert, the Service Book clearly states that the warranty will be evaluated in the context of any modifications - by all rights they could probably void it based on any mod, regardless of whether it was directly the cause of a problem.

I don't think its realistic to expect Honda to provide a warranty on every conceivable engine modification, especially not an ECU which by definition is able (whether it does so or not is moot) to change air/fuel mixtures, disable any failsafe detonation settings, etc.

Old 02-26-2004, 08:55 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I still think the treatment of this claim sucks! I hope it never happens to me but, if it did and Honda didn't pay out on their "extended warranty", I'd be throwing the broken engine block through their head office's windows!

That said, commiserations for the situation that you find yourself in and I hope the financial pain is not too bad and that you manage to cut your losses ok.
Old 02-26-2004, 10:43 AM

Hi all

Thanks again for all the help. See you around if anyone finds themselves being flashed at by a bloke in a BMW 530D thats me from now on not fast and furious more pace with grace

Have fun all