UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Hello and Goodbye

Old 02-25-2004, 06:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ron....really sorry to hear this mate.
I hope things get sorted.
Try not to be too bitter with Honda.......I'm sure you know they are generally good. And it would be a shame not to see you at some meets in another Honda.

Old 02-25-2004, 06:26 AM

Originally posted by radron
but Honda have lost a customer for life as far as Im concerned so however nice is S is or will be in the future, Ill not be driving one.
Please don't take offence at these next comments Ron and I genuinely hope that you can get this sorted as quickly and cheaply as possible....

This reminds me of the Subaru sites where you'd have a large percentage of people complaining about Subaru's engine unreliabilty. Delve a little deeper and you find that these guys are invariably running 300+ horsepower from a 2l turbo engine that was designed to push out 240bhp.

Now I have nothing against modding the engine to get extra power, but it is just common sense that it will cause more stress on the engine. Honda spent a lot of time getting what they perceived to be the maximum reliable performance out of a 2l NA engine. I'm sure if they could have got it up to 260hp then they would have done, but they obviously decided that 240 was the best trade off between power and reliabilty from extensive bench testing and research.

My point is that if you're going to make peformance mods then be prepared for the fact that they may cause premature engine wear and even failures.

Whether this had any bearing on Ron's failure I don't know, they owe it to you to give you an explanation of what went wrong as you have an extended warranty, but I don't think you have grounds to complain about Honda's service because they aren't willing to fund your R&D program for Spoon ECUs
Old 02-25-2004, 06:48 AM

Did your car have the spark plug/oil jet 'product upgrade'? If so, you have an additional 1 yr. Honda warranty on the engine
yeah the recall has been done......

Might consider a brake upgrade after Keevil.....for me this was the weak link...not the outrigth performance as such but the fact that after some 100mph to 40mph stops the fluid boiled
Old 02-25-2004, 07:00 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by zero_to60
Old 02-25-2004, 07:18 AM

Originally posted by neil_s2k
My point is that if you're going to make peformance mods then be prepared for the fact that they may cause premature engine wear and even failures.

Whether this had any bearing on Ron's failure I don't know, they owe it to you to give you an explanation of what went wrong as you have an extended warranty, but I don't think you have grounds to complain about Honda's service because they aren't willing to fund your R&D program for Spoon ECUs
I am sorry and again I want to cause no hurt but . There has to be a cutof for the company when they will not honour the warranty. Had the car been stock but on a track and it failed without any mistakes by the driver, for example downshifts into the wrong gear, and Honda refused to honour such a warranty I would be on your side.

I am sure that the cost of this engine replacement is a bad situation and I am not in your shoes but it is unfair to blame honda or the extended warranty company for refusing to repair. It is still a loss to you and again I mean no insult to you or your modifications to the car.
Old 02-25-2004, 07:27 AM
jcp

Hello mate.

Very sorry to hear about your bad S encounter. Having had a fair amount of Honda salvage experience, I would suggest thinking carefully before pumping any more cash into the car Ie a new engine.

I say this because I think your going to be hard pushed to get your predicted 18k asking price. Is the car on Hpi now? If so I would seriously consider selling the rest of the car off in parts, and not spending out any further. This way you may get more return.

Mods will definitely make more secondhand (ebay-etc) as they are of personal choice and not usually accountable when selling up.

I do wish you all the best with your car anyhow.

PS. All above. I still hold the tittle for shortest reply from MT being "bye bye"
Old 02-25-2004, 07:32 AM

I wouldn't have thought an engine blow up would put it on HPi

HPi is a hire purchase and insurance register. Insurance companies aren't interested in stuff like this
Old 02-25-2004, 07:32 AM

frankly if it were me....I'd replace the engine and keep the car....can't see what is to be gained by selling and suffering an even bigger loss
Old 02-25-2004, 07:40 AM
jcp

Well I'm thinking. a) the car is a '99 b) It may go on the HPI c) Have you tried selling an S lately theres hundreds- without question marks over engine issues d) It's hampered with mods and e) Parts are highly desirable for these especially with Honda's times three mark-up.

Not intending to cause any offence Radron, I honestly sympathise-I own a Cat D car mate I can't say jack anyway!
Old 02-25-2004, 07:45 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by jcp
Well I'm thinking. a) the car is a '99 b) It may go on the HPI c) Have you tried selling an S lately theres hundreds- without question marks over engine issues

Quick Reply: Hello and Goodbye