UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Hello and Goodbye

Old 02-24-2004, 02:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hello and Goodbye

Hi guys and girls

Ive been off the air for a while as as those of you who know me will know my car had a disaster. Long and the short of it is that my engine suffered a catastrophic failure and Honda Warranty wont cover the repairs as my car was modified. Unfortunately they couldnt find anything else to blame and have said that they dont know why the engine failed but that the warranty was voided by the fact that my car was modified.

Still chasing with a solicitor but it looks a bit of a waste of time. Honda UK have turned their back even though there is no clear cause for the failure and so I have decided that Im saying goodbye to my lovely but now dead S. Its getting a new engine so will be a steal for some lucky person but unfortunately I have lost faith not in the car but in Honda, so Ill be saying goodbye.

Thanks for all the great meets and track days.

I still have my hardtop and fittings for sale if anyone wants them and will have some S-Pods and Ricks Headrests for sale assuming AE cant shift them for me.

Once again thanks all Happy Vtecing
Old 02-24-2004, 02:59 PM

Hi,

Really sorry to hear about your predicament. If you don't mind me asking, could you shed some light on what actually happened with your engine and what (specifically) in terms of modifications did Honda refuse the warranty on?

I'm a bit worried as I had planned to do some modifications myself, starting with an induction kit - but stories like this scare me!
Old 02-24-2004, 03:09 PM

I have

Spoon ECU
Spoon Manifold
HKS
PRM

They couldnt find a satisfactory cause for engine failure having studied the engine. Found the ECU and attepted to blame that, I discussed this with Barwell Racing who said that the increase in horses the ECU supplied is not significant enough to cause a catastrophic failure, Honda replied with dont really care it was modified and our warranties dont cover modified cars.
Old 02-24-2004, 10:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What failed? Or is the engine such a mess that you don't know what let go first?
Old 02-24-2004, 10:05 PM

Ron, I see that your's is a MY00 - is you car covered by an extended warranty ?
Old 02-24-2004, 10:45 PM

Sorry to hear that Ron.

It looks like it's a case of the warranty company seeing a way out and taking it. The rules of contract were broken and just like any other insurance company they've used that to save themselves
Old 02-24-2004, 11:04 PM

Worst nightmare! Sorry to hear that. Ironic after the TVR.
Was this the extended engine warranty (which has I think some limitations) after the oil bolts?
IIUC the ECU only went in late Jan? Pause for thought.
Old 02-24-2004, 11:43 PM

Sorry about your car Definately look for a binned one to get some salvage. You should be ok because the position of the engine means that there is a lot of air and metal in front of it to absorb the crash. Also, repairs are expensive so the car does not have to be very badly damaged to be written off - especially bodywork damage e.g. rolled over

Interesting question though. At the Blurter meet I saw many S2000s with non-standard induction and exhaust kits. There weren't many (any?) with modified ECUs, but still, I wonder what Honda would say if you binned the engine with a PRM attached?

Has anyone got any information on this as I am looking to buy a PRM, but the thought of getting the same problems as radron (not so much the failure, as the attitude of Honda) is worrying my somewhat...
Old 02-25-2004, 12:06 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Didn`t you have the old ecu? If my car ever had a fit, first thing I`d do would be bop all the std`s back on.
Old 02-25-2004, 12:11 AM

Originally posted by cheshire_carper
Didn`t you have the old ecu? If my car ever had a fit, first thing I`d do would be bop all the std`s back on.
Is it that easy? My mate's Leon involves a soldering iron and a *very* steady hand to replace the ECU... In fact, it's probably a job for the pros.

Quick Reply: Hello and Goodbye