UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Hello

Old 06-15-2011, 02:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hello

Hello, my name's Ross, I'm 22 and currently driving a Toyota MR2 Roadster.

I've always liked S2000s and I'm hoping to get one just after Christas. I've been researching them and the main stumbling block seems to be insurance. I've been reading the insurance thread, but for some reason all the prices don't show. This is how they appear to me; 'I'm with Chris Knott and I pay '. Does anyone know why this happens? I've tried reading the forum in IE as well so I assume it's not a compatability issue with Firefox.

I've had a few quotes so far, but a standard S2000 is roughly double the cost of my modified MR2 (exhaust, spring, spoiler, roll bar; it's even more for me to insure than my dad's 4 litre TVR ffs!). I know I'm going to have to drive one before I can decide whether it's worth the extra on the insurance. I've had a sit in one to see whether I can fit (6'4" and 15st) and it was just about okay, I would probably follow the seat modification instructions on this site to get an extra 1-1.5" lower.

I'm hoping to get an 02 onwards if I can save enough.
Old 06-15-2011, 02:30 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not sure what the issue is but is your screen resolution wide enough for the extra zeros on the quotes!!! only joking, remember its a group 20 car so it will never be 'cheap' to insure.

Im paying roughly what I was paying on a mr2 turbo 5 years ago, Im with Sky now (just renewed) The insurance comparison thread is the best place for the info but if you phone the names listed in that thread it will give you an average on what to expect. I'd ignore Chris Knot now as they have hiked up there premiums and it would appear that they dont want our business anymore (just my opinion based on my renewal quote this year)
Old 06-15-2011, 02:30 AM

Not sure why the numbers are not showing, but as to why the car is more expensive to insure; that is down to the absence of driver aids. Unfortunately there have been far too many owners with little appreciation of the dynamics of a rwd car with out aids that has resulted in far too many off-road excursions. Your Dad's TVR is probably on a limited mile policy to be cheaper I suspect, but that is just guessing.

Personally I go with Elephant, but I'm 33 not 22.

I also think that you'll struggle to fit in it comfortably for longer journeys. I'm only 5'10" and about 14st and I find it cosy.
Old 06-15-2011, 02:44 AM
UK Moderator
UK Moderator

Received 307 Likes on 262 Posts

I guess you're looking at the very old thread - try this one: https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/871...n-thread-four/
Old 06-15-2011, 02:47 AM

Chris Knott don't insure under 25s on the S2k.

My insurance was about £1600 at 22, it has now gone down slightly to £1400 fc with Admiral Multicar. Cheapest I could find and that is completely unmodified.

02 --> is a good choice.

They are great cars, but there are a few things to look out for, all explained in the FAQ and sticky, but roof, crashes and geometry and the big ones.
Old 06-15-2011, 02:52 AM

Yeah, I've heard the stories of people not appreciating the dynamics of powerful RWD with no driver aids. For the TVR quote, I just changed the vehicle on the price comparison website from MR2 to TVR, so it's in my name on a 10k policy! I suppose they are mostly bought by older enthusiasts who don't crash very often.

I'm going to have to take one for a drive before I decide, the one I sat it was tucked away behind about 1000 cars at a Honda dealership so I couldn't drive it.

My insurance renewal is due next month, so I'm trying to find a company that will give me a good quote for my the MR2 as well as letting me change to an S2000 in 6 months time.

loovegroova, that was the thread I was refering to. There are some numbers, but it seems like when people use the £ at the front of the number that's when it doesn't show?

Thanks for the responses!
Old 06-15-2011, 02:55 AM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Old 06-15-2011, 05:49 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Insurance on these are silly for the type of car that it is. If you want something thats just quick then look elsewhere (you can get insured on a porka 911 for the same amount). If you've got your heart set on one then go for it, they are a great car and I love mine. Take your time getting used to driving it and enjoy the summer, top down weather...
Old 06-15-2011, 06:40 AM
UK Moderator
UK Moderator

Received 307 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by deadmau5
loovegroova, that was the thread I was refering to. There are some numbers, but it seems like when people use the £ at the front of the number that's when it doesn't show?

Thanks for the responses!
Some of the older posts are indeed truncated, look towards the end of the thread and you'll see some numbers (which are probably of more use as they are pretty recent).

However, being 22, expect to pay a lot for insurance on one of these cars.
Old 06-15-2011, 06:47 AM

When I read the insurance thread it does exactly the same thing so its not just you... I pay about £900 with Bell, 4yrs NCB 26years old however I think Admiral are the most competitive at the moment but I'm guessing it will be over £1k if your 22 dependant on your postcode. I have a black 02, if your anywhere near Bedfordshire I'll take you for a ride always up for an excuse to go out at the minute and I know dealers often look funny at youngish guys who want a test drive in anything remotely interesting (first hand experience of this a few years ago.. I did turn up in an old vectra SRI mind so that probably didn't help )

Either way good luck, really pleased with my S

Quick Reply: Hello