UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

HEL Performance 2012 Time Attack Build

Old 04-12-2011, 11:57 AM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I'm not syaing I wouldn't have some, i'm just saying there are a LOT of pics of broken ones out there, albeit the faulure mode could be different in each case.
Old 04-12-2011, 12:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Never said we werent going to think about wheels, the quality, or the weight, I simply said I was unlikely to spend the money on the likes of Rays ones as much as I'd like to

We and I'd say 70% of the UK Time Attack grid used Rota wheels last year. And they dont sell the amount of wheels I know they do if they werent upto scratch. Granted there are lighter and more expensive wheels out there, but for the money the Rotas are fantastic value and quality. Second option is our link with Team Dynamics, but as first stated, the option of testing different Rota wheels locally is much handier for us when building the car....
Old 04-12-2011, 12:03 PM

Hardrace was sourced via DMS btw people, contact Dixon and I'm sure he will look after everyone on here.
Old 04-12-2011, 01:37 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

HEL - thanks for the hardrace link.

I'd just like to clarify. I'm all for competition and new brands bringing technology and affordable products to market that have great features and equally great benefits. However.

If you check-out go-tuning's blog, you'll find a link to a video of wedsport's product, versus a replica. My point is not that Rota are a replica (regardless of cosmetic similarity), but more that i'd prefer people to make their own minds up.

My apologies for mis-interpreting what had previously been said about ignoring a Volk wheel setup. Work, Weds, Rays, OZ, BBS, HRE and Enkei all manufacture super-quality wheels. I just think of all the brand available that produce genuinely impressive wheels - choose well.

It's a bit like Hi-Spec. They make BBK's, but you don't see anyone running them in a top-level competitive situation - there's a reason for it.
Old 04-12-2011, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by MB
Rota are pretty light, but i've seen that many pic of broken ones to put me off.
Less chance of a Rota breaking than your flimsy forged jobbies.

Unfortunately the internet is full of bullsh1t - the Rota wheels issue being a prime example.

What you get is the ultimate 'you get what you pay for' statement being not true, so people who paid a silly amount for 'JDM tite' wheels try to justify their purchase by saying that they heard that Rotas snap and kill you.

Now, there maybe some truth in this, but what we will never know is how the driver significantly damaged the wheel previously, but didn't notice.

Have a look here:

http://www.nissansilvia.com/forums/i...&#entry5597815

The two Rota pictures sum up my diagnosis perfectly:

Sorry for the rant/intrusion, but sometimes the spouted causes me to go postal (yes, pun intended )

Just like engines, wheels have a shelf life and a cast wheel will have a longer shelf life than a forged one.
Old 04-12-2011, 03:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great link! looks of very mangled wheels in there. Ben you know I support Rota fully. Great wheels from great people!
Old 04-12-2011, 09:36 PM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

Nice link FWIW I ran TeamDynamics Pro Race 1.2 on a previous car for almost 2 years, a lot of abuse around Milton Keynes and some pretty poor road surfaces, they were excellent and very light - far lighter than the OEM 17s they replaced and far stronger too. Two years after I sold them to another chap on the forum, they're still perfectly round and still in daily use and nightly abuse around Lakeside. I wouldn't hesitate to have another set. That said, anything will snap / break / shear if you give it enough abuse
Old 04-12-2011, 10:31 PM

Some lovely tyres on those 2 pictures!!

Being a manufacturer of an aftermarket product ourselves I've seen and read similar level BS about our own product in the past. Each to their own but i've no concerns at all about Rota wheels. Every product has a failure at some point, but there is generally ALWAYS a reason behind the failure thats got nothing to do with the product itself....forums dont tell you this though, they just point the finger straight at the failed product.

At the level of motorsport the build is pitched at they are more than adequate, I've got no ambition whatsoever to turn this into a must have the best money can buy attitude to all the parts we get for it. The budgets not there and it would be totally overspecced for purpose even if it was there! We've got another race car build going on for that sort of thing (which I'll tell more about next week).

Anyway, after drysumpgate, bonnetgate, and wheelgate, we'll see what the next round of pictures bring! Got to love debating and opinions, forums like this would be dull without it!
Old 04-12-2011, 11:34 PM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Nexus,

So you are saying they might have issues, but not sure, but defending them anyway based on....? Wouldn't be an assumption would it?!

Shelf life has nothing to do with how well a wheel copes with impact or stress.

And a wheel forged from a billet is going to be inherently stronger than one imo.

Would I use a Rota wheel? Yes probably, based on a fair few people on here using them on track with no issues.

You will note that all I said was there was enough broken wheel pics out there to put me off, I didn't say "rota wheels are shite don't buy them!"

Old 04-13-2011, 12:17 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Good man! Haha
Now let's trade wheels

18x10 ET20 Anyone? d:

Originally Posted by MB
Nexus,

So you are saying they might have issues, but not sure, but defending them anyway based on....? Wouldn't be an assumption would it?!

Shelf life has nothing to do with how well a wheel copes with impact or stress.

And a wheel forged from a billet is going to be inherently stronger than one imo.

Would I use a Rota wheel? Yes probably, based on a fair few people on here using them on track with no issues.

You will note that all I said was there was enough broken wheel pics out there to put me off, I didn't say "rota wheels are shite don't buy them!"

Quick Reply: HEL Performance 2012 Time Attack Build