UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

HEL Performance 2012 Time Attack Build

Old 03-22-2011, 12:51 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

who in there right mind would fit a £3k bonnet to a race car,

keep quiet chriss if your just gonna slate there choice on bits which judging by the thought and work put in so far is a well planned build.

i think seibon is a great choice personally

pics of the bootlid please
also what spoiler/gt wing are you going to fit?
Old 03-22-2011, 01:41 PM
UK Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by rob2.2
who in there right mind would fit a £3k bonnet to a race car
Did you not read my post above?

Chris.
Old 03-22-2011, 02:04 PM
Banned

yeah but not worth £3k,

it may be slightly better aero effieciency and as long as the venting on the siebon is adequate for reducing heat soak in the engine bay im pretty sure they will be happy with the £2.5k saving they can spend on the engine build to make it much faster then a £3k bonnet will.

spend money where it really counts on horsepower and chassis set-up,
600bhp turbo kit, sequential box, a fully seam welded, roll caged, stripped out car with fully adjustable suspension geometry s2k will be awesome

a £2.5k more expensive bonnet will do virtually nothing compaired ot the above stuff.
Old 03-22-2011, 02:57 PM
UK Moderator

Who said anything about a £3k bonnet?

and it wasn't even me who brought up Mugen

I said that Mugen make parts especially for race applications at suitably lower prices.

FWIW Hel's Seibon bonnet looks like a J's or Amuse 'replica'.

Chris.

PS Power is not the be all and end all--the World's fastest S2000s are NA with relatively low power outputs.
Old 03-22-2011, 03:06 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by chrisr111
PS Power is not the be all and end all--the World's fastest S2000s are NA with relatively low power outputs.
proof please as thats a complete lie . PROOF = http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c95u7...layer_embedded

anyway back on topic:
love the progress guys,
this will be amazing
Old 03-22-2011, 03:13 PM
UK Moderator

Proof LOL

BestMotoring is a video 'magazine'

Do you believe what you see/read in the press?

I'd do some research if I were you

Chris.
Old 03-22-2011, 10:24 PM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by chrisr111
Originally Posted by unclefester' timestamp='1300825851' post='20387096
[quote name='chrisr111' timestamp='1300824391' post='20387004']
beacuse Siebon blatantly copy other companies designs.

Chris.
*shrugs*

it's going to get destroyed on a race track .. only an idiot would fit a part 3 times the price and the same weight in that environment unless Mugen were offering sponsorship.

Everyone copies stuff - so what - you pays your money and you takes your choice, if you want to have Mugen then pay for Mugen and advertise it accordingly - either way Seibon is a legitimate business and HEL are a paid and registered Trader.
Did you know that Mugen especially make parts designed and priced for race applications?

Chris.
[/quote]

Yes I did but that doesn't change the fact that there is more to the tuning scene than Mugen / J's / Amuse, as you yourself pointed out, the bonnet will most likely be heavier than an OEM one anyway so ultimately it's down to your personal choice of bling. If you want and can afford to be a die hard Mugen fan that's great but it doesn't mean that everyone else is or has to be, nor does it mean that everything is a 'knockoff' just because it goes against your preferred choice of overpriced add on.

Frankly given that HEL is a paid up trader on the site, it looks poor that one of the sites moderators is allowed to get away with saying that said trader is fitting 'knock off' parts on their own thread, it's not the first time either - you couldn't resist a pop at Garage-R which IIRC no one else thought was a bit 'off'.

Oh and report not retort doesn't work when it's one of the moderating team or their buddies, second time that's been proven nicely.
Old 03-22-2011, 10:48 PM

Wow, who'd of thought a bonnet would evoke so much debate!!

Simple case of justification really for me. We didnt have a bonnet for starters, as the car was a bare shell, so no OEM bonnet to work with anyway. We also couldnt have vented it in the way we wanted it venting without it costing more than the Seibon one - believe it or not we actually worked this out first....!

Mugen, Amuse, J's - No discredit to their parts, but if I wanted a full dry carbon lightweight bonnet, I wouldnt be heading to any of these guys for them, you can get things like this made in the UK for FAR less. In our case I wasnt interested in any of these names or bonnets of a higher quality (and probably a fraction lighter), for both a cost reason and the reason that quite simply it will get peppered with race track damage within a few outings! Can you imagine the repair cost of a proper dry carbon bonnet?!?!

Also from a weight saving point of view the difference between the lightest bonnet on the market and the Seibon is only a few kgs which we could easily loose elsewhere for ALOT less cost than getting the likes of a Mugen bonnet.

Suspension - This will be custom valved and set up by Aurok, who set up the Ohlins kits and support the likes of BTCC, WTCC and similar standard race cars. We did consider Nitron but I'd already had conversations with Ohlins and was massively impressed with this kit having seen a customer shave 7 seconds off his laptime than his PB set on another suspension set up once his Ohlins kit was dialled in by Aurok.....
Old 03-23-2011, 02:52 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by unclefester
Originally Posted by chrisr111' timestamp='1300826028' post='20387107
[quote name='unclefester' timestamp='1300825851' post='20387096']
[quote name='chrisr111' timestamp='1300824391' post='20387004']
beacuse Siebon blatantly copy other companies designs.

Chris.
*shrugs*

it's going to get destroyed on a race track .. only an idiot would fit a part 3 times the price and the same weight in that environment unless Mugen were offering sponsorship.

Everyone copies stuff - so what - you pays your money and you takes your choice, if you want to have Mugen then pay for Mugen and advertise it accordingly - either way Seibon is a legitimate business and HEL are a paid and registered Trader.
Did you know that Mugen especially make parts designed and priced for race applications?

Chris.
[/quote]

Yes I did but that doesn't change the fact that there is more to the tuning scene than Mugen / J's / Amuse, as you yourself pointed out, the bonnet will most likely be heavier than an OEM one anyway so ultimately it's down to your personal choice of bling. If you want and can afford to be a die hard Mugen fan that's great but it doesn't mean that everyone else is or has to be, nor does it mean that everything is a 'knockoff' just because it goes against your preferred choice of overpriced add on.

Frankly given that HEL is a paid up trader on the site, it looks poor that one of the sites moderators is allowed to get away with saying that said trader is fitting 'knock off' parts on their own thread, it's not the first time either - you couldn't resist a pop at Garage-R which IIRC no one else thought was a bit 'off'.

Oh and report not retort doesn't work when it's one of the moderating team or their buddies, second time that's been proven nicely.
[/quote]

Good point, unfortunatly you'll always be wrong on here if a mod dis-approves, regardless of what the majority think.

Great build HEL, can't wait to see this next year!
Old 03-23-2011, 02:53 AM

BOOM!

X

Quick Reply: HEL Performance 2012 Time Attack Build