UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

HEL Performance 2012 Time Attack Build

Old 01-23-2011, 10:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you not rose jointing the suspension arms? After going to all this hard work and talking about the suspension working properly, do you really think the hard race stuff will cut the mustard? Ok on a street/track car but this a full bore race machine. What dia tubing did you use on the roll cage. It looks quite hefty...
Old 01-23-2011, 10:30 AM

Received 79 Likes on 66 Posts

The cage looks very impressive.

Is the design actually a fully worked up design based on drawings and calculations or a good old rule of thumb and experiance design as it progresses type of job. I can see there are a lot of structural engineering standard solutions and design's with lots of triangulation involved.

I presume the tube sizes are a result of many years experiance as much as calculation, seen from the result of incidents and what does the job.

I have no experiance of this type of structure and was just wondering, it is in no way a critism.
Old 01-23-2011, 11:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unless the rules have changed the tube diameter is stated in the regs, there is some leeway depending on material used but the dia and thickness are fixed, there should be a hole in the tubes so scrutineers can check the thickness
Old 01-23-2011, 12:14 PM

cage is built to pass any msa rules. rules state the cage has to be constructed of 45mm 2.6 wall thickness tube throughout. anything else and it wouldnt pass scrutineering.

cage construction is based on 8 years experience building cages for many different race series, and for cars some worth in excess of a million pounds.

you can change the design and tube sizes considerably, but it then means you must get full homologation from msa, which takes a lot of time and around £2000 in costs.

if you follow the msa blue book regs then you dont need to obtain any type of certification.
Old 01-24-2011, 12:08 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by MB,Jan 23 2011, 06:22 PM
Nick I think I can say on behalf of everyone, it's appreciated that you keep the updates coming

Your welding runs are superb
Old 01-24-2011, 01:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

TBF that cage is awesome! What would you charge for something like this. While mine is in shell state It maybe worth considering!

What did you think about my rose joining comment? You going to stick with standard arms for sure?
Old 01-24-2011, 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by cyber gook,Jan 24 2011, 02:07 AM
TBF that cage is awesome! What would you charge for something like this. While mine is in shell state It maybe worth considering!

What did you think about my rose joining comment? You going to stick with standard arms for sure?
No we're going to look at doing something with the arms. Only bought the adjustable Hardrace rear arms, the rest we'll look at improving/making bespoke.

Thanks for all the comments on the cage, Nickson M'Sport have done a fantastic job for us as you can see. Pays dividends having an enthusiastic and knowledgeable cage builder on board with the project - Cant fault the work or the service throughout - Top Job Nick

Looking forward to getting it back now
Old 01-24-2011, 06:53 AM
Banned

this is an extremely impressive car,
cant wait to see more progress and the car on track
Old 01-24-2011, 10:57 AM

Received 253 Likes on 218 Posts

Cage looks superb,looks similar to the Caterham challenge cars to me, can't beat experience when it comes down to design on these things. Looking forward to next instalment, will we get a pic by pic story on the engine rebuild.?
Old 01-24-2011, 12:15 PM

thanks for all the kind comments, now got a 700bhp evo to get on with, its been a great project to be involved with, and cant wait to see the build progress and the car on track in 2012.

price wise for the cage, we do custom 6 point weld in cages fully fitted from £1100, that is for a basic 6 point with single rear diagonal, and single doorbars.

a cage to the exact same spec as above including, all the extra gussetting to doorbars, screen tube, and front turret gussets.
mounting brackets for the hardtop, and the extra 6 points bolted into the shell on the rear section, fully fitted, and primed. would be £2522.50

without the gussets, hardtop mounts, and extra 6 points your looking at £1945.

(we sorted out a sponsership deal with hel so the prices paid were not as above, contact us with any sponsership oppotunity and we may be able to sort out a similar arrangement, for competition cars in the limelight)

we can spec the cage to any spec you require, down to the last tube and certain bracket your after. and adjust the price to suit.

thanks
nick

Quick Reply: HEL Performance 2012 Time Attack Build