UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Heat soak kangarooing

Old 11-28-2005, 10:57 AM
Administrator

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Nick how do you do that exactly - spray it down with engine off, then start her up? or is it more complex?
Old 11-28-2005, 12:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a very interesting discussion recently that I can't publish on here that basicly suggested that the whole heat soak thing was a red herring.

Now I don't entirely believe it because of a few of my own experiences however after the discussion I tried a few experiments and you wouldn't believe how much of it is down to people not being able to modulate the throttle properly.
Old 11-28-2005, 12:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That sounds so much like XVIPER from the USA S2 Forum, he says its all down to throttle and clutch control!!! What nonsense, when its so abviously a car fault. I have owened 37 cars and driven a lot more and this is the first time I have known such a problem (my own car included). Heat soak or not there is a design fault somewhere...
Old 11-28-2005, 01:23 PM
KMB

.... I'd like to think I've driven enough cars (including the same S2000 when the hot air under the bonnet has not been hot) to know that it wasn't me when it occured

I can actually get my hands on a 2" square datalogger that can measure the air temperature every second from work, I'm tempted to place this in the first compartment of the airbox. Go for a drive then try different air box 'mods' and repeat the drive, to see how much effect the air temp changes by - Just to try and settle this It all downloads into Excel so could be interesting.

I have already aluminium taped the entire lower half of the air box (out of sight and hopefully reflecting some heat from the rad/engine) next stage is the datalogger research
Old 11-28-2005, 02:03 PM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Ive got the MAP voltages on my PLX wideband logger, when the car goes into kangeroo mode. I will post them up soon. I purposely set it to record when i was in heavy traffic and caught it.

MB
Old 11-28-2005, 11:32 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by fluffyninja,Nov 28 2005, 10:01 PM
I had a very interesting discussion recently that I can't publish on here that basicly suggested that the whole heat soak thing was a red herring.

Now I don't entirely believe it because of a few of my own experiences however after the discussion I tried a few experiments and you wouldn't believe how much of it is down to people not being able to modulate the throttle properly.
i think to a degree heatsoak is not the entire cause of the kangarooing. The heatsoak starts it, but when the engine takes a big gulp of hot air and doesn't pull your inclination is to press the throttle harder. This clears the hot air, then engine suddenly pulls, the car jerks, you lift off the throttle, the car suddenly decelerates, your foot bounces onto the throttle slightly and violent kangaroos commence.

Part of the problem is the inital loss of power caused by the heatsoak, but the rest of it is caused by the s2000's very immediate response to the throttle and very light flywheel which doesn't damp changes in the rate of change of revs in the same way a normal engine does.
Old 11-29-2005, 12:20 AM

This is why I & others have removed the Rad shield, it cuts off at least 90% of available clean (colder) air to the Airbox IMO. All the Airbox has got to use is the air around the Rad and the 6 or so slits in the Rad shield.

Bearing in mind that the top of the Rad is just in front of the Airbox inlet and does get bloody hot what little air the box can ingest is not helped by then getting heated by the Rad.

All I can say is that I