UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Heat soak kangarooing

Old 11-28-2005, 02:12 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Unhappy Heat soak kangarooing

I've had the occasional bunny hop when sitting in traffic over the last couple of years, but a quick dip of the clutch or a flooring of the throttle has cured it.

Recently, the car seems to have become really sensitive to it. I can drive round it, but my girlfriend borrowed the car the week before last and had real problems. I can sense when its about to start and adjust throttle position, clutch etc before it starts but has anyone any suggestions as to why it might have got worse. I would have thought the cold whether would have made it less prone to heatsoak, but the opposite seems to have happened.

I did a map whack a few months ago when it was getting lumpy in vtec, which fixed that so i might try another to see of that has any effect. Otherwise the car is running fine.
Old 11-28-2005, 02:22 AM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Given the age etc, I would just buy a new one. its probably on its way out. Mine is doing it too.

Not sure whether mine is doing it becuase of the cold, but certainly seems worse. Possibly because its operating in a slighty different range? But ambient pressure shouldnt make much difference as its a bit after the event.

MB
Old 11-28-2005, 02:28 AM

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Dark Blue Mark,Nov 28 2005, 11:22 AM
Given the age etc, I would just buy a new one. its probably on its way out. Mine is doing it too.
Hilarious, i bet there will be S2000s still running over 200,000. Get a snorkel and the map sensor checked.
Old 11-28-2005, 02:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

An often overlooked cause of kangaroo'ing is an incorrectly adjusted throttle cable.
Old 11-28-2005, 02:40 AM

Received 654 Likes on 569 Posts

check your air filter hasn't been eaten by a mouse

and is clean.
Old 11-28-2005, 03:08 AM

Originally Posted by Pie_n_Chips,Nov 28 2005, 12:35 PM
An often overlooked cause of kangaroo'ing is an incorrectly adjusted throttle cable.
too tight or too loose? how do you suggest i check?

i have to say that if the map sensor is playing up and needs replacing i'd be pretty disappointed. I had a new one 12 months ago when the engine was replaced.
Old 11-28-2005, 03:57 AM

Received 654 Likes on 569 Posts

the kangaroo effect is caused by hot air

this is less dense which then means the fuelling is incorrect for whatever reason (dont know the ins and outs of the sensors, ecu etc) causing potentially a stall but more likely the car trying to rev itself and you also doing this in reaction to the revs dropping etc.. this could also be caused by an air leak (check your intake and filter) or some other fault??

mine doesn't kangaroo at this time of year, only in the summer. stick some quality fuel in it and give it the once over would be my advice. visually check the map sensor but that normally affects vtec as well??

do check the air filter, if the car cant breath well it will be a problem.
Old 11-28-2005, 04:37 AM
KMB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine has done the kangaroo thing a couple of times, if driven reasonably hard then left to stand for a while before driving again it seems the heat builds up and causes the effect. It hasn't done it in the recent cooler weather though I have also spent some hours fitting aluminium tape neatly to the lower half of the airbox to help prevent heat soak.

Your question re: MAP sensor does lead me to ask this, apologies if this has been asked many times before:

My S revs very smoothly to the red line but doesn't have a pronounced VTEC kick when the cam profile changes, is this normal??

My previous cars the VTi and ATR had a much more noticable kick...... I'm sure everything is alright as it certainly seems fast enough, but just like to put my mind at rest.
Old 11-28-2005, 04:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lower,Nov 28 2005, 01:08 PM
too tight or too loose? how do you suggest i check?

i have to say that if the map sensor is playing up and needs replacing i'd be pretty disappointed. I had a new one 12 months ago when the engine was replaced.
Go to the end of the throttle cable at the throttle body. There, you will see a couple of nuts that lock the end of the cable sheath to the bracket. You can adjust the free play there using these nuts. The correct tension is when you can move the middle of the exposed throttle cable up and down 1/4".

Old 11-28-2005, 05:28 AM

its not that then. I've got about that amount of free play.

i don't get a distinct kick when vtec cuts in, but you get a definate feeling of the engine pulling much harder. the kick in something like a CTR is much more distinct.
How noticable the kick is also seems to be dependant on the air temp. The cooler the air, the more noticeable the change in power.

Quick Reply: Heat soak kangarooing