UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Heal & Toe...

Old 12-07-2004, 02:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes MarkB is right - if you haven't done this before be very careful with wet roads etc.. we don't want any more mishaps!

Try it on quiet dry roads with no other traffic around at first. And don't be too committed - i.e.late with your braking when practising - if you get wrong and you're committed you'll be in the hedge.

Definitely worth it for way improved car control IMHO.

Taught myself to do it about fifteen years ago and I use it all, yes all the time. Once you get used to it it is honestly not a big deal, but like everything new its hard at first. Becomes second nature.

If I drive car which is not set up for it (pedals too far apart or at differing levels) it feels weird like I'm not properly in control.

I use two thirds of the ball of my foot on the brake and the other third to blip the throttle just as I make the downchange. Means you are always (in theory!) in the right gear with a throttle balanced car through and on the exit of the corner. Big advantage for performance driving and just 'cruising' (smoother).

My current car is a motegi prelude - I have had the pedals slightly modified to allow me to easily H&T. Getting S in couple of weeks. I've test driven the car a few times and it seemed ok for H&T (my side foot technique), although from memory perhaps the pedals are a little far apart. I will try it out when I am a daily driver and report back my views - for what they are worth! - if anyone is interested.

I will def modify the pedals if I think its worth it.

My 2 dinari.
Old 12-07-2004, 02:31 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Scooby,Dec 7 2004, 09:42 AM
Can't believe no-one has mentioned the most important aspect of heel and toeing - it sounds fantastic!!
In which car?

The S2K sounds quite impressive, but a Scoobydoo burps and rumbles like it shouldn't be street legal! Great stuff!

BTW - Heel n' toe is a bit of a misnomer for the S2K - it's easier to place ball of upright foot on brake and to blip with RHS of shoe - one doesn't even need to lift foot from floor either. (Well, depending on shoe size!)

Practice makes the Master!

Old 12-07-2004, 02:36 AM

Convergent evolution Nick

pip pip!

Old 12-07-2004, 02:54 AM

You can also double declutch on a downchange, but not while braking - i fnd it most useful on motorways etc. when slowing for an exit ramp, to slow then ddc down to the right gear for the exit ramp.
Old 12-07-2004, 02:57 AM

Your synchromesh gone dreamer?

Old 12-07-2004, 04:27 AM

Originally Posted by dreamer,Dec 7 2004, 11:54 AM
You can also double declutch on a downchange, but not while braking - i fnd it most useful on motorways etc. when slowing for an exit ramp, to slow then ddc down to the right gear for the exit ramp.
Whilst sustaining revs I presume?

ddc with matching revs, after any necessary braking was completed, and before any steering input, used to be compulsory in advanced driving. IIRC ddc was dropped because some manufacturers including Ford said not to use it.

Anybody know if Mr Honda has expressed a view?
Old 12-07-2004, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by MarkB,Dec 7 2004, 08:49 AM
A note of caution before you go and practice though - it's not an easy skill to learn for most people, invariably you'll mess up the braking and either brake too hard or not enough. You'll probably get the revs wrong at first too - it goes without saying that with the roads in the condition they are at the moment, this could result in nasty consequences.
If you want to drive more smoothly on the roads, H&T is a good skill to learn but I would advise against using it until you can do it 100% of the time or as close to that figure as you feel comfortable with. A driver who can match revs on the downchange (so the car doesn't lurch as you let the clutch out) and who brakes smoothly and progressively is as safe as one who can H&T.

Practice getting the revs matched exactly on the downchanges and wait for the warmer weather or find somewhere private to practice H&T until the spring. No doubt we'll organise an airfield day sometime in the new year, maybe we should have a 'driving techniques' day somewhere.
Very wise words Mark

I also find it easier to H&T when driving harder; probably because you are applying a firmer pressure to the brake pedal.
Old 12-07-2004, 07:44 AM

No synchro is fine ta ;-)

DDC just makes it dead easy to rev match while downchanging (not while braking tho)
Old 12-07-2004, 07:52 AM

Come on then, now explain double declutching to me!!!
Old 12-07-2004, 07:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Must go an practise this!

Quick Reply: Heal & Toe...