UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Headlight dazzling people?

Old 12-19-2007, 04:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight dazzling people?

Hi,
I am not sure but driving at night my headlights appear to be quite high and possibly 'blinding' on-coming drivers, for example i can see the beam of my HID's lighting up the road signs in front and high up the hedgerows to my left etc, are they likely to be pointing upwards, is there any way to measure and adjust them if so? many thanks.
Old 12-19-2007, 04:43 AM

Your local MOT place will have the headlight aim checker things ..

Think factory hids are supposed to be self leveling .. but I've never looked into it.
Old 12-19-2007, 04:52 AM

They're self levelling, and I'm 99% sure mine are aiming correctly as I've just had an MOT 3 weeks ago, but I do think as standard the do appear quite bright to some motorists.

I've certainly been given the odd flash by oncoming motorists who think I haven't dipped my lights at night.
Old 12-19-2007, 05:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the way i do it.... note where your lights are on the car infront at some traffic lights (ie: right up close to him), as you pull away and maintain your safe 2sec gap, see if the beam line raises or lowers on the back of his car..

there is some maths to it, but cant remember what. should always be slightly lower than the horizon line anyway
Old 12-19-2007, 05:07 AM
Community Organizer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think they are self leveling. The S has one of the best HID's i have seen. It is beam style HID and quite difficult to be adjusted wrong from the factory. So if you haven't touch them most possible they are aiming correctly. One easy test is to check on a distance of 8-10 meters if the beam hits the bumper of the car in front of you or you are lighting up the whole cabin inside the car.

P.S veehex pointed out the same thing with better English the same time i was writing my response
Old 12-19-2007, 05:40 AM

Fount this :
http://www.modifry.com/freebies/old/zenon/index.htm

While hunting for my own issue
Old 12-19-2007, 05:50 AM

Wow some great info thanks, I didn't realise there was so much science to it all ... thing is I hope the alignment is fine as it looks fekin complicated to adjust!
Old 12-19-2007, 06:28 AM

It will be. I get this all the time...especially when following people on bumpy country roads (I have coilovers). They always think I am flashing them.....

Oh dear
Old 12-19-2007, 07:05 AM

Just got mine back from Honda and the left one looks a bit low. MOT test confirmed that as he said it was just oustide the min level so getting it readjusted at Honda.. been told its a 30min job or something! I dont think the S2000 HIDs seem to self adjust a great deal, not like the ones i had on my previous Focus.. when they flicked on they adjusted up and down and then constantly seemed to adjust to the correct height.
Old 12-20-2007, 01:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's a sensor on the rear left wishbone that does the self-levelling (except Bibbs, Shipley and I don't have it ).

If you think about it, the self-levelling can only correct for a change in the car - i.e. lots of weight in the boot. The headlights still need to be adjusted to be at the right height when the car is in its normal state.

I get a few flashes. They are bright, and as Shipley says the bumps make it look like you're flashing people.

Quick Reply: Headlight dazzling people?