UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Headlamp Condensation - Possible causes.

Old 03-30-2006, 08:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Headlamp Condensation - Possible causes.

The Cause
Whenever there is excess humidity in an enclosure, it manifests itself in the form of condensation on the coldest area of the enclosure (headlamp), which is normally the lens as it's facing the free flowing (cold) air. The warmer the air, the more moisture it will retain, so when air in your headlamp comes in contact with the colder lens surface (and cold air from outside), it is subsequently cooled and moisture is released in the form of condensation on the glass.

In order to reduce condensation, humidity must be controlled and air movement must be generated in normal circumstances . As the exterior temperature drops, the humidity level needs to decrease if condensation is to be controlled (Note: condensation usually occurs after turning the HID on which obviously produces heat as a by product.)

However the headlamps are designed to be airtight so there is no air in the headlamp to be warmed up by the HID and subsequently cooled down when it meets the inside of the cold lens or cold air. So to locate and fix the fault
Old 03-30-2006, 08:12 AM

This may not be the case for everyone but the problem resolved itself for me.

The winter below last, the right-hand headlamp had condensation inside and my local Honda garage told me the only fix was a new headlamp!

A colleague with a new Audi A3 told me that there's a sticker on his headlamps saying that condensation inside the headlamp is normal with large fluctuations in temperature and will resolve itself when the temp fluctuations return to 'normal'

I was sceptical but I left he lamp and it did disappear, never to return...

It did take a while but I live in Switzerland and the temperature probably fluctuates a lot more the UK...my advice would be to give it a few weeks and see if it goes away on it's own.

I know it's annoying because it spoils the look of the car but it's cheaper than buying a new headlamp and probably less risky than cooking them in the oven
Old 03-30-2006, 09:37 AM
Administrator

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Might be a good shout that AB.

However, I think mine went in through where the inverter is, as that part was wet wet wet when i took it off.
Old 03-30-2006, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by AquilaEagle,Mar 30 2006, 10:37 AM
Might be a good shout that AB.

However, I think mine went in through where the inverter is, as that part was wet wet wet when i took it off.
That may well be the cause for your Ballast becoming faulty as they do NOT like water but its unlikely that's how the spider or the condensation got in, in the first place. There isn't enough gap for the spider no matter how small it is.

I know some people have left the condensation/ water to dry on its own accord but my Ballast also stopped working soon after the condensation developed. Sure this may be a coincidence but @ around
Old 03-30-2006, 10:29 AM

Are those pipe things not there to let out heat ?

I'll be interested in your findings old chap. I had this once, but cured it with the old hairdryer trick.
Old 03-30-2006, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by Shipley,Mar 30 2006, 11:29 AM
Are those pipe things not there to let out heat ?

I'll be interested in your findings old chap. I had this once, but cured it with the old hairdryer trick.
If they were designed to let out heat the logical place to direct them would be towards the top of the lamp as heat rises.

And unless this was a flaw that Honda recognised why did they not have the same inlets/ outlets on the new gasket. Would also make financial sense not to change it?!

It seems the air initially enters the headlight through those pipes becomes warm; when more cold air enters and they mix condensation is formed.

Would be good to get some view from 2004+ owners. Anyone had condensation problems before?
Old 03-30-2006, 01:25 PM

How much were they ?
Old 03-31-2006, 12:43 AM

I got mine from a breakers Andrew, who threw them in with some other bits I bought. (Probably about
Old 03-31-2006, 01:21 AM

Thanks chap
Old 04-16-2006, 04:03 AM

Update: I've had the 04 gaskets on my car for about a week now. Since which I've washed the car twice and driven in the rain a couple of times.

Result: No condensation

I applied some multipurpose grease to them before putting them back on the car and its worked a treat for me.