UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Have S2000 bought new tyres for the winter season

Old 01-28-2004, 06:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Have S2000 bought new tyres for the winter season

Ive been told that the tyres for the car are more suited to warm dry roads. Does that mean that the S2000 has to be driven very cautiously during autum/winter/early spring or have owners bought wet/snow tyres for winter. How does the car handle in snow?or is that suicidal!
Old 01-28-2004, 06:52 AM

In snow its terrible. Wet weather is okay, its mainly when the tyres are cold that its a bit off.
Old 01-28-2004, 07:03 AM

The stock S02 tyres are generally considered to be great in the dry but not so good in the cold and wet. They don't disperse water as well as some other types and, crucially, they often don't get up to peak operating temperature during the winter, meaning that you're not getting as much grip as you would during the warmer weather.

Some people choose to replace the S02s with better all-weather tyres like Goodyear F1 Eagles or Toyo T1-S Proxes - not as much dry grip as the S02 but more confidence-inspiring in the cold and wet.

Driving in the snow can be awkward - but no more so than any other lightweight RWD sportscar. The key thing to remember is to keep inputs smooth and avoid braking unless you absolutely have to. Try pulling away in second or third to minimise wheel-spin.

It's possible to put snow tyres on, if you anticipate doing a lot of miles in areas where you get a lot of snow. One of the Scottish owners, Euan, did so recently and would be able to give you more details if you were interested in doing likewise.

Another popular solution among board members has been to buy a cheap and cheerful "beater" FWD car and use that for the winter.
Old 01-28-2004, 07:06 AM

What do the other MY2004 drivers think of the RE50s in the wet?
Old 01-28-2004, 07:14 AM

Richie, my limited experience of them so far during my 5 days of ownership is that they're an improvement on the S02.

I was out putting some miles on the clock on Saturday when the heavens opened - the car didn't feel even slightly twitchy or troubled by the standing water.

That said, I wasn't pushing all that hard, so it remains to be seen how they bear up under more of a test of their abilty.
Old 01-28-2004, 07:27 AM

I've not had a problem with the S02s in the wet....so much so that I've replaced my tyres for another set of S02s just this week; I think you just need to take the appropriate precautions.

But yes, the other tyres previously mentioned have been felt to be more surefooted in the wet.
Old 01-28-2004, 07:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have to say I think the New 04 tyres are better, as they have very distinctive water channels so should be better in rain and snow. Time will tell, especially this time of the year.

Maybe Mark you could give us your thoughts in say a month or two.

dave
Old 01-28-2004, 09:39 AM

Originally posted by san2000
I've not had a problem with the S02s in the wet....so much so that I've replaced my tyres for another set of S02s just this week; I think you just need to take the appropriate precautions.

I just take it easy when it
Old 01-28-2004, 12:37 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by hazdjc
I have to say I think the New 04 tyres are better, as they have very distinctive water channels so should be better in rain and snow. Time will tell, especially this time of the year.
Old 01-28-2004, 01:31 PM

I bought my snow tyres because I travel in the north of scotland at weekends a fair bit, and you can never nbe sure of not geting caught out on a long journey.

It was a bit of a struggle reasearching and getting mine (

Quick Reply: Have S2000 bought new tyres for the winter season