UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Hating the Hardtop

Old 10-13-2010, 02:46 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by punchdrunk,Oct 13 2010, 08:31 AM
Mine rattles like a good un

What grease are you guys using
This is the stuff you need, best on the market!

http://www.chilternconnections.co.uk/ShopSE01.html
Old 10-13-2010, 04:12 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by punchdrunk,Oct 13 2010, 09:31 AM
Mine rattles like a good un

What grease are you guys using
I've used the good old shinetsu and it works a treat, it's solid as a house and nothing squeeks and rattles.

Don't know where in London you are mate but you could always pop over for a greasing session
Old 10-13-2010, 04:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by oxhouser,Oct 13 2010, 11:38 AM
have you checked the rear catches are adjusted properly? there is a specified gap between HT and body before the clamps are locked, you have to adjust the rear brackets by slackening the bolts and tapping with a soft hammer.
Although you have described already, could you elaborate a little further please?

I put my HT on at the weekend, and whilst everything seems fine, I didn't do this 'slackening the bolts and tapping with a soft hammer' bit !
Old 10-13-2010, 04:44 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That's just the method to align them properly if the hardtop doesn't fit right.

So no need if it fits on there fine.
Old 10-13-2010, 05:32 AM

^ Thank you .

I gave the car a nice wash after fitting the HT, using the hose from as many angles as possible to ensure the seal is water tight! The last thing I'd want is to arrive to my waterlogged interior!
Old 10-13-2010, 12:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How was the hardtop stored over the summer? Previous threads have gone into great depth about using the Honda stand, storing right way and upside down, and the effects of deformation. Could it have warped?
Old 10-13-2010, 12:53 PM

I find it seems to settle after a few good drives, either that or I just get used to it!
Old 10-13-2010, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by S2000_FUN,Oct 13 2010, 12:40 AM
All these described here will sort everything out for a long time. When it starts rattling again just use Shinetsu again.

One of the rattling reasons also is that a lot of people who install the hardtop catchers on the car do not bend the corner gusset described in the manual and this makes a whole of a difference. Just check it.
I might need to have another look at the corner gussets.... I fitted the brackets but couldn't see any reason to bend the corner gussets.. The brackets installed fine and couldn't be any tighter. Do the gussets touch the roof if they are not bent back?

I have a noisey roof this year but i didn't get time to grease the seals.. Only put it on as Im away for three weeks and didn't want to come back to a slashed roof!
Old 10-13-2010, 11:07 PM
Community Organizer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Putney,Oct 13 2010, 01:08 PM
I might need to have another look at the corner gussets.... I fitted the brackets but couldn't see any reason to bend the corner gussets.. The brackets installed fine and couldn't be any tighter. Do the gussets touch the roof if they are not bent back?

I have a noisey roof this year but i didn't get time to grease the seals.. Only put it on as Im away for three weeks and didn't want to come back to a slashed roof!
I did the same mistake when i first install the catchers on my car. I couldn't see a reason why the corner gussets needed to be bend. The first thing i noticed when i put the hardtop on is that it didn't sit properly before locking the hardtop. One of the 2 front corners of the hardtop needed much more effort to make it lock in the right position. Thought it was normal but when i did bend the gussets the hardtop was sliding easy in the right position. Also when i removed the catchers of the car to bent the gussets i saw the gussets were bend just slightly from tighting the cathcers the first time. So trust me it might be just milimiters but when i did bend them it made a huge of a difference. Anyway i cannot see the reason why not to do it since it is explained in the hardtop manual. Honda people must know something
Old 10-14-2010, 02:12 AM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

Manual is here

http://www.handa-accessories.com/S2000/s2k2top.pdf

Quick Reply: Hating the Hardtop