UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Hating the Hardtop

Old 10-12-2010, 03:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hating the Hardtop

I could swear that last year the hardtop was fine, no noticable squeeks or rattles other than that from the catches on the retracted soft top. But this year, 4 miles was enough to turn me crazy.

It appears to be creaking quite badly over on the passenger side, any movement causes it. I have silicone greased the rubbers on the top of the windscreen where the hard top meets. This was done earlier tonight so I just hope it has an effect as the seals plump up.

I've thought about getting some rubber tubing to slip over the hook so it might pull it tighter but if it's squeeking, might it be too tight? Or is it the movement in the HT causing it to creak?
Old 10-12-2010, 03:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mine sometimes creaks but I just grease the seals and all is well again, i also had some rattling from the catches on the inside at the front, i just used some small pieces of neoprene to solve that.
Old 10-12-2010, 04:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am no expert just done what i have read on here.

When i bought mine the roof rattled its tits off !

I changed the strikers did very lil but gave the roof tension, i then greased the rubber all around the lid - it went on it sounded worse then ever - couple of days later it settled and i get hardly any noise from the roof - only on very bumpy surfaces
Old 10-12-2010, 06:42 PM
Banned

You should sell me your hardtop, that'll remove your creaking noises!
Old 10-13-2010, 12:29 AM

Mine is silent as anything. Fully greased up, rubber piping over the catches/latches and a couple of small elastic bands holding the soft top catches down. Doesnt make any noise.

When I apply the grease, it gets caked on - literally. When it comes off in the summer I clean all the seals up then but I am exteremely generous with the Shinetsu. When I tried the silicone spray from Halfords last year, it made a hell of a racket until I changed from spray to grease.
Old 10-13-2010, 12:31 AM

Mine rattles like a good un

What grease are you guys using
Old 10-13-2010, 12:40 AM
Community Organizer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by S2IM,Oct 13 2010, 12:29 AM
Mine is silent as anything. Fully greased up, rubber piping over the catches/latches and a couple of small elastic bands holding the soft top catches down. Doesnt make any noise.

When I apply the grease, it gets caked on - literally. When it comes off in the summer I clean all the seals up then but I am exteremely generous with the Shinetsu. When I tried the silicone spray from Halfords last year, it made a hell of a racket until I changed from spray to grease.
All these described here will sort everything out for a long time. When it starts rattling again just use Shinetsu again.

One of the rattling reasons also is that a lot of people who install the hardtop catchers on the car do not bend the corner gusset described in the manual and this makes a whole of a difference. Just check it.
Old 10-13-2010, 01:50 AM

Put mine on last night after becoming sadly convinced that this week of fair weather will just be a load of cloud.

Honestly don't know why I bothered. Whilst it doesn't actually creak or rattle - and I do temporarily like that it makes the car look totally different - I just can't see myself being arsed to do it next year. In fact the best thing about putting it on is that it frees up more garage space.
Old 10-13-2010, 02:12 AM

Originally Posted by integra_man,Oct 13 2010, 01:50 AM
Put mine on last night after becoming sadly convinced that this week of fair weather will just be a load of cloud.

Honestly don't know why I bothered. Whilst it doesn't actually creak or rattle - and I do temporarily like that it makes the car look totally different - I just can't see myself being arsed to do it next year. In fact the best thing about putting it on is that it frees up more garage space.
Other half has been hassling me to put the hard top on.
I reckon she wants the space in the garage so she can put even more crap in there !
And I thought the garage was a mans domain.......
Old 10-13-2010, 02:38 AM

have you checked the rear catches are adjusted properly? there is a specified gap between HT and body before the clamps are locked, you have to adjust the rear brackets by slackening the bolts and tapping with a soft hammer.

Quick Reply: Hating the Hardtop