UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Has anyone removed middle exaust silencer?

Old 12-29-2011, 05:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone removed middle exaust silencer?

Has anyone else removed the silencer before the backboxes? If so what do you think?

I saw a clip on YouTube where they remove the middle resonator on the exhaust and it sounded good. so I looked it up and loads on the American side Have done it and said it's a good mod if you don't want to change your exhaust yet.
So I took my car to longlife this morning and had the silencer taken out and a straight pipe put in it's place. When you rev the car stationary it sounds awesome!!!! Then when your driving it sounds awful, as if the exhaust is blowing (this I will check but the guy at my local longlife is good at what he does)

I guess now I will be looking to change the whole exhaust
Old 12-29-2011, 05:44 AM

Not done this, but is it possible to get it put back in?

I have the standard system on my car now with decat, aem v2 and an unknown manifold that was on the car when I bought it and I love the sound, think it is perfect.

When I bought the car it had a buddy club pro spec system on it and it was crazy loud, love the car so much more now with this setup. Maybe give it a go before changing the whole system?
Old 12-29-2011, 06:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had the HKS silent on mine now for many many months and yesterday my neighbour came round to say it's a bit loud at 5:30am...

It's quieter than his Vincent motorcycle that he starts up on weekends...

Bleeding the coolant system after a rad swap set him off I think. Having it tickover on my drive for 20 mins didn't help.

Anyway, in the spirit of cooperation, I think I need to hunt for something a touch quieter. (Although this isn't loud, it's just a bit boomy on tickover when it's cold and revving high).
Old 12-29-2011, 06:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

or.....

I get something mental loud for a month then swap back to the HKS thus giving the impression of quieter..
Old 12-29-2011, 06:16 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My invidia isnt a neighbour winning exhuast but it did come with a set of bungs which mute it quite well. I have the bungs on display in my shed window to tease the neighbours as I have only tried them once and thought it was too quiet!!
Old 12-29-2011, 07:55 AM

I've had the mid box taken out on mine and gutted the airbox, I think it sounds good and have had several compliments. I think they've done a dodgy weld or maybe loosened a gasket if it sounds like its blowing.
Old 12-29-2011, 10:26 AM

Received 254 Likes on 219 Posts

I've often thought about this, anyone do a video clip with sound to get an idea?
Old 12-29-2011, 11:23 AM

I will check tomorrow if it is blowing, whilst I clean all the black gunk off the back boxes so they are shiny

What does gutting the air box do? And involve?
Old 12-29-2011, 11:29 AM

Made the exhaust note a bit deeper on idle and louder in high revs. Basically carved out the dividing wall and then blocked up the resonator hole, if u search the forum for airbox mod there is a tutorial.
Old 12-29-2011, 11:42 AM

I would be interested to see a video of this too. What difference does it make taking the middle silencer out?

Quick Reply: Has anyone removed middle exaust silencer?