UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Hardwiring satnav

Old 08-26-2009, 12:58 PM
MrM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hardwiring satnav

Some may recall this thread

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showt...&#entry10390186

How I managed to do this I will never know, but I'm thinking about getting a Garmin Nuvi 765 and would like to hardwire.

Would it be the same process as the Origin installation? Ie same fuse same everything? Then I can just get a spade connection and run both together.

Thanks in advance
Old 08-27-2009, 06:21 AM

I have a 760 hardwired.

It's all pretty simple. I only have the one car I use it in so decided that I would hardwire with the supplied cable, this also has the traffic aerial. I also decided that I wanted to keep the ability to plug it into another car if needed.

Rather than cut the end off, I wired in an extra accessory socket under the dash. I have the nav on the bottom right corner of the screen, the cable is just pushed between the dash and pillar trim.
Old 08-27-2009, 09:17 AM
MrM

Where you have yours is where my B2 is at the moment. I bought a female cig lighter adapter from Maplins and an inline fuse and wired the Origin in. Was hoping to do the same with the Garmin

However, chatting to people at work about it today, I have been told how police have been warning people not to leave cradles on display or suction cup marks on the window. Part of the reason I wanted the 765 was because the cable plus into the cradle, opposed to into the unit itself. I dont really want the hassle of ripping the suction cup off the windscreen everyday.

Anyone have any thoughts or comments on this? My Origin B2 cradle sits there all day and never even given it a second thought?
Old 08-27-2009, 09:26 AM

Depends on how Pikey your area is. These days sat navs are not exactly uncommom or expensive. Walk round car parks and you'll see loads of cars with the mounts on the window.

Perhaps I should remove my aerial so not to give away the fact my car has a radio installed.
Old 08-27-2009, 04:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In terms of the suction cup, I use the Modifry dash mount. It is still visible sure when you look inside the car, but at least you won't see the suction ring on the windscreen. Sometimes the cup also leaves a ring and, well, depending on how determined the thief was, that would possibly be enough of a clue.

I would just lock the satnav in the glovebox. Probably not supremely thief-proof, but I guess just use your discretion if you're parking in an unfamiliar or known dodgy area, etc.

As for hard wiring, I took a more extreme measure and used something called the Garmin VIB 11. It's a discontinued product from Garmin but they can be found if you look hard enough.

It's a little box that connects between the head unit and satnav and cuts out the car radio and feeds the satnav prompts through the car speakers. Useful if you're driving with the top down, and the sun is making it difficult to see the screen clearly.

It's simple to install if you know car audio, otherwise it's not for the novice. Quite dear too. Also, with an upgraded sound system, the satnav prompts make an awful buzzing sound, which I'm still trying to solve.

As I said, it's an extreme way of hardwiring it, but as the VIB 11 takes traffic updates via the car radio antenna, you don't need to mount the extra aerial along the windscreen, so it reduces clutter. I got a bit pedantic about it all really.
Old 08-28-2009, 10:03 AM
MrM

I like the look of the modifry dash mount, very neat.

I didnt click the link to the instructions, but is it easy to fit?

The Garmin model I was looking at has an internal antenna inside the unit as far as I believe. Do you reckon that it would receive sufficient signal if it were mounted on the dash mount, or is it not far enough towards the front of the windscreen?

Cheers