UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Hardtopguy strikes again

Old 08-21-2007, 12:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Hardtopguy strikes again

I ordered an Oil Filter and TCT from Hardtopguy about a week and a half ago now.

When I ordered it, after seeing the problems LloydSix had on here, I asked Jeff for the price to include ALL Shipping/Handelling costs etc... so I didnt get any suprises this end.

Today I get a letter from Parcel Force asking for
Old 08-21-2007, 12:52 AM

It's nothing to do with HTG - it's just the chance you take whenver you import stuff.

He can't control whether HMR&C inspect the parcel at this end and charge VAT on it. Whenever they do, the shipping company will seek o pass on their own handling charge. That's not his responsibility. You take the chance that a package will get stopped whenever you buy abroad.

You've either been lucky in the past or the value of the stuff you have bought has been within the duty threshold.
Old 08-21-2007, 12:55 AM

Ummmm, why are UK VAT and customs and excise duties Jeff's responsibility? These charges always apply to imported goods over a certain value. If you've never had to pay them before after purchasing several things from all over the world you have been very very lucky.

Yes you are being very unreasonable, and yes you should just bite the bullet and pay it - it's a UK government tax that applies to YOU the buyer, not to a USA-based seller.
Old 08-21-2007, 12:58 AM

You get charged import taxes and VAT when you import something from outside Europe. HTG could only add his price and the shipping fees. There is no way he could know if you would get charged in the UK and how much.
Old 08-21-2007, 12:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To be fair, you can't expect somebody outside the country to know all about our tax system. I would have always asked for a price and assumed that I'd have to pay VAT on top.

But if he did promise to pay ALL the taxes (what specifically did you ask?) then he ought to refund you. Good luck with that.

AFAIK the previous situation was never resolved.
Old 08-21-2007, 01:00 AM

fair enough.

Just thought by specifically asking for the price including all possible charges he would charge me extra to cover these costs. I wanted to know the full cost of the item upfront as I told him via email.
Old 08-21-2007, 01:04 AM

I didnt specifically mention VAT so I guess thats my fault, but you would have thought he would have mentioned that I may be charged VAT especially after the Lloyd issue.

I asked for a full all inclusive price including all shipping and handelling charges that I am likely to be charged... VAT is something I thought would be included under this statement.
Old 08-21-2007, 01:05 AM

I've got a
Old 08-21-2007, 01:07 AM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I think that would be impossible.

1) He wouldnt know our system and what the charges are

2) The responsibility is always with the recipient of goods from overseas - you cant make them responsible for VAT here

3) It can be hit or miss if you get caught dfor tax - so you would be equally pissed off if you paid it to HTG and then didnt get charged.
Old 08-21-2007, 01:08 AM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by RobJ1,Aug 21 2007, 10:04 AM
I didnt specifically mention VAT so I guess thats my fault, but you would have thought he would have mentioned that I may be charged VAT especially after the Lloyd issue.

I asked for a full all inclusive price including all shipping and handelling charges that I am likely to be charged... VAT is something I thought would be included under this statement.
Nope - totally not his responsibility.

Quick Reply: Hardtopguy strikes again