UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Hardtop Wiring question

Old 01-24-2007, 10:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hardtop Wiring question

I have recently purchased a hardtop for my car. I have managed to put all the hardware on- strikers, catchers and am in the process of wiring it up.

The car has a 3 pin connector that was unused and sitting behind the rear trim panel, this is ment to attach to the hardtop sub harness supplied with the hardtop installation kit, but the supplied harness has a 4 pin connector. The colours are all the same between the car loom and the harness, however, the sub-harness has an additional green wire, The green wire comes from the hardtop installation switch that is part of the LHS catcher.

Can I link the sub-harness and car loom wires together by matching the colours?

Should the green wire should be linked back to the soft top control unit (pin 5)?

Mike
Old 01-24-2007, 01:31 PM

I have come across a similar related issue however I don't evn have the 3 pin connector on my car. I think that's because mine is an early one. I just haven't got round to calling Jeff at Hardtopguy to discuss this further. If you call him now he'll still be open. They're only 5-6 hours behind.

I recall during my search through the forum someone having exactly the same prob as you. I'll have a search again and drop you the link if I can find it again.
Old 01-24-2007, 01:38 PM

Here's the link:
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showt...0&#entry4193332

Looks like you need the remainder of what would have been the Kit A Hardtop Kit. Hardtopguy should be able to help. I'd appreciate it if you take some less close up photos than the link so that I know what and where we are talking about. I just can't for the life of me find a spare loose 3 or 4 pin connector behind the rear trim. I can only find the single wire which is little use to man or beast without the proper 4-pin connector.

Keep me informed.

Dave
Old 01-24-2007, 11:01 PM

Thanks for the info.

As for the connector, Maybe I can help you here.....

The loose connector that is ment to be behind the rear trim is actual not behind the rear trim! Its closer to the boot!

Once you remove the rear trim you will see a loom running towards the back of the car. If you follow where that loom goes, half way along you will find the connector taped onto the loom. In order to access the connector I pulled away the left hand boot liner (under the rear window) and used a knife to cut the tape and freeing the connector. I then went back to the loom behind the seat and pulled it through. If it is an early car, i am sure you will have a three wire plug - Colours Black /red, Black /Yellow and Black.

By the time I get home at night its a bit dark, but if you can hang on, I will get some pictures posted at the weekend.

Mike
Old 01-26-2007, 11:49 AM

Many thanks. I look forward to seeing the pics. I'll have a root around for that taped connector tomorrow.

Thanks again,

Dave
Old 01-27-2007, 08:00 AM

Ok here's an update.

Wired the hardtop harness to the car loom by taking the pins out of each connector, and matching the colours. Black to Black, Black/red to Black/red and Black/yellow to Black/yellow. This left a spare green wire that was part of the hartop installation loom. I cut the terminal off (to be used later) and then extended the wire, routing it along the sill up through the dash to the soft top control unit.

I pulled the 10 pin connector from the control unit. I soldered on the cut-off terminal back on to the extented wire, and pushed into the connector plug in position 5. The green wire connects the hardtop installation switch to the control unit, so that when the hardtop is installed the connection earths pin 5 on the control unit, which disengages the soft top control switch on the centre console, so there is no risk of the softtop trying to motor.

Everything is working perfectly! Defroster, and the softtop control switch disengagement.

Dave I will upload the picture showing the location of the car's connector.
Old 01-27-2007, 08:29 AM

nice job
Old 01-27-2007, 08:48 AM

Right, I've found the little blighter. Your explanation was spot on.
As for the work you've done to get it to work, I''l need to go to my parents to borrow the soldering iron to do as you have instructed. Any particular wire I should use to extend the green wire to the Soft Top control Unit?

How the hell did you work it all out? Through a discussion with Hardtopguy or as your name suggests you're a Sparky?

Also, are you sure the soft top will work when I take the hardtop off in the spring?

Dave
Old 01-27-2007, 09:34 AM

Shear bloodymindedness sorted it out. I studied the wiring diagram and did a little checking in the manual.

I'm no sparky and Hardtop guy didn't get back to me, so I took my time and fathomed it out.

I have tried the set-up with and with out the green wire and its working like a sweetheart, so i can confident when I take the top off the soft top will come to life!

I used a bit of car wire that I had - Use any Multi-strand that would be good for 5amp or so.

Hope the photo helps. If you need any advice or help PM me

Mike
Old 01-27-2007, 11:42 AM

Absolutely brilliant!!! I wouldn't have known where to start.
I'll have a go at that when I'm next back home.

Many thanks for the instructions and the piccie. I completely understand. Now loads of old S2000 owners with hardtops that have never had the defroster working can do the same.

Nice one

Quick Reply: Hardtop Wiring question