UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Hardtop wiring help

Old 01-27-2016, 05:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hardtop wiring help

So I recently bought a hardtop for my S2000 and fitted using Alloy Craft brackets.
Need to figure out how to get the demister working.

So when removing the panel behind the seats, I found this:

[attachment=90276:image.jpeg]

This is the wiring on the hardtop:

[attachment=90277:image.jpeg]

Do I need to connect these two to get the demister working? And if so - what part do I require?
Attached Thumbnails Hardtop wiring help-image.jpeg   Hardtop wiring help-image.jpeg  
Old 01-27-2016, 06:29 AM

Hi I think you need the hardtop sub harness.

This connects the plug behind the seat to the hardtop wireing via a rubber plug which is positioned on top of the off side B pillar garnish. (you should be able to see a blanking plate)

BEWARE however that the plugs used behind the seat did change throughout the production life of the S and therefore the part number for the sub harness varies depending on model year.

Also the OEM offside B pillar hardtop brackets have a switch built into them that activates (inactivates) once the hardtop is in place. The sub harness also has a plug for this . I don't know if the alloy craft brackets would have this switch or place to mount it.

Hope this helps
Old 01-27-2016, 06:35 AM

Received 652 Likes on 567 Posts

You need a switch for it too. Does that come with the harness?

I've never bothered tbh
Old 01-27-2016, 07:09 AM

No the switch on the hardtop bracket doesn't come with the sub harness.

It does come attached to the OEM bracket however the switch may be available separately but I'm not sure about that.
Old 01-27-2016, 07:50 AM

I have a factory fitted hardtop, and had problems with my demister, and thought I would share what I know. Hope it helps.
The rear demister switch in the centre console operates the demister in the soft top when the hardtop isn't installed (obvious).
Beside the hardtop pin hole on the left hand side of the car there is a spring button. So when the hardtop isn't installed the button is in the "up" position.
If you can find it and press it down, you will find you cant operate the soft top, as it indicates the hardtop is fitted.
On the bottom of the hard top you should find a rubber stopper which would depress this button when the hardtop is fitted.

When the hardtop is fitted (button pressed), and the cable connected the switch operates the hard top demister.

Cheers
Old 01-27-2016, 07:56 AM

I believe what you describe is correct only if the OEM hardtop brackets are used.

Instead, the OP has installed brackets made by Alloy Craft - these ones?
Old 01-27-2016, 08:33 AM

Thank you very much JimFR - some really useful information there. The brackets don't come with anything like that - will I have to install a separate switch to use the demister for the hardtop? The existing demister for the soft top will not work?

Yep they're the ones Lankan.

Pkane32 - do you mean when the hardtop spike are engaged with OEM brackets - the switch is flicked to the 'off' position. Therefore the switch on mine will remain in the 'on' position? I did a fair amount of research before installing and never knew this - do you any pics of where this switch is located?

And yes I Nottm_S2 - if this turns out to be too much hassle/expense I may do the same and leave as is.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Old 01-27-2016, 08:43 AM

sohailnisar, the issue you may have is that since you don't appear to have the OEM brackets, you will not have the switch that a) prevents the soft top being operated, and b) switches on the hardtop's demister.

The said switch is mounted on the OEM bracket that is bolted to the near side (passenger) bodywork - see attached photo, which was posted up by another member.
Attached Thumbnails Hardtop wiring help-hard-top-demister-activation-switch.jpg  
Old 01-27-2016, 08:50 AM

Ah I see. Thank you for that Lankan! Is there a way round this? Can I install this switch separately? - how would I do this?
Old 01-27-2016, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by sohailnisar
Ah I see. Thank you for that Lankan! Is there a way round this? Can I install this switch separately? - how would I do this?
I am sure you can install a switch that will have the same effect, but I am not sure what the circuitry is that is built into the OEM hardtop bracket. I didn't go as far as investigating this since I will be using OEM brackets when I install a hardtop.

Quick Reply: Hardtop wiring help