UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

hardtop problems

Old 10-11-2004, 03:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Technical Service Bulletins

See here:

https://www.s2ki.com/home/index.php?option=...&id=7&Itemid=41
Old 10-11-2004, 06:25 AM

Once again, a useful topic like this makes the site sub well worth it.

When I first removed my HT back in late Feb on the new 04 I remember commenting that closing the soft top was a little too tough. Some useful posts by MT confirmed that I still had what I assumed to be some rubber packaging plugs still in place in the softtop catches.

I removed these and the roof has been fine. To this day I am still not sure if these rubber bits should or should not be there. From looking at the TSB posted by AE earlier perhaps they should.

I had some terrible hardtop noises when I first got my 02. The constant squeaking drove me up the wall. Two different dealers attempting to fix the problem with silicone spray but still it continued. It was cured with a liberal application of Vaseline all over the rubber. A few others posted that this was not the best solution, but it was the ONLY solution that worked for me.

So, flash forward to now, with the weather somewhat colder, I am definitely getting a squeak with the soft top close and yes, the catches do seem to have loosened up a bit - or maybe that's just my imagination.

My HT isn't being fitted just yet. During storage my Dad managed to badly scratch it in an accident, so it's going to have go to the bodyshop before it will be fitted on my car. D'oh!

I'll be taking copies of the TSB with me to make sure the fitters know what to look for. Regardless of manufacturer, I think problems with the HT do tend to get classed as classic ' there's a rattle in the glovebox' garage problems and probably are not taken as seriously as they should be.

It will be useful to see what other niggles other owners have/or have had with the roof in general as I'm sure that all of us live with some strange problems that we never get around to sorting out.
Old 10-11-2004, 07:44 AM

Am I being thick but I cant find anything on the TSB's about the hardtop - does anyone have a link?
Old 10-11-2004, 09:29 AM
Xd

Originally Posted by Bozeman,Oct 11 2004, 02:25 PM
It was cured with a liberal application of Vaseline all over the rubber. A few others posted that this was not the best solution, but it was the ONLY solution that worked for me.
The reason Vaseline is not a good idea is it is petrolium jelly, this will perish rubber or in a worst case disolve it. The best, in fact the recomended solution is silicon grease. this should be applied to all rubber seals every three months, thinly. Honda can order this for you for around
Old 10-11-2004, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by neilparryuk,Oct 11 2004, 09:14 AM
Is anyone else having these problems - is there a quick fix or shall I take it back to the stealer to have a look at?

I've got the same problem mate. Noise was unbearable when I was on the motorway last night - let me know if anything comes up...

Ash