UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

To hardtop or not to hardtop?!

Old 06-21-2011, 12:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mega_stream
My hardtop went on yesterday, car looks much better with it on.

I personally always feels a bit of a knob-head driving around with the roof down to be honest
Sacrilege!
Old 06-21-2011, 01:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kobe
hardtop storage is quite easy by using a hard top cover bag and hanging from the garage rafters above the bonnet.
That's what I do.

The other thing probably worth looking at in deciding is effect on re-sale.

Most contemplating an S as a daily would think it essential (whether it really is or not) and would pay a premium for the hardtop - worth doing some research into what that premium is.
Old 06-21-2011, 02:04 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

To add it can be put on and taken off on your own, I think I would be a you tube hit if I filmed myself doing it. might be worth sending it too youve been framed too as I could sure do with an extra 250 this month!!

I actually wanted to put mine on this week whilst it was hissing it down, I do like the look of it with it on.
Old 06-21-2011, 02:26 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Jimmy, I'd be very interested in seeing how you do it as I could do with putting it on the car on my own as well

Vids or it didn't happen
Old 06-21-2011, 03:34 AM

Originally Posted by jimmyb1978
To add it can be put on and taken off on your own, I think I would be a you tube hit if I filmed myself doing it. might be worth sending it too youve been framed too as I could sure do with an extra 250 this month!!

I actually wanted to put mine on this week whilst it was hissing it down, I do like the look of it with it on.
On your own without leaving a lovely dent in the top of your rear wing from the rear locating "spikes" on the HT?

Yep, I want to see that please!

Just occured to me that when I was looking at insurance, the GT came in a bit cheaper. Negligible for an old fart like me living in Dingly-Dell but might be significant for a 23 year-old ghetto-dweller paying 4-figure premiums..
Old 06-21-2011, 04:05 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Unless you're a big strong bloke I doubt you'll manage to stick it on there on your own without risking to damage anything

Unless you build yourself a nice hoist from your garage roof
Old 06-21-2011, 04:10 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by WinFreak
Unless you're a big strong bloke I doubt you'll manage to stick it on there on your own without risking to damage anything

Unless you build yourself a nice hoist from your garage roof
Would making a hoist cause a problem if I don't have a garage?
Old 06-21-2011, 04:17 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not if you have anything else you can span a bit of wood in between above the car?

I have been thinking of creating something but then decided to just play it safe and wait till someone can help me lift it on or off.
Old 06-21-2011, 04:24 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Floppy
Jimmy, I'd be very interested in seeing how you do it as I could do with putting it on the car on my own as well

Vids or it didn't happen
I promise it can be done and im far from entering a body building competition. Only done it a few times but I have definately put it on and taken it off on my own, takes 3 times longer though!!

I may do a video, depending how stupid I look doing it.

From memory, windows down and all clips open, lift up one spike and rest it one the mount, same the other side but then turn it slightly so that the front is resting one the top of the windscreen. Then grab the base of the rear window and edge of the roof the lift!! you have to put in your back into it and gently lower it to the floor, I had to dot it one day when it was really hot and I still had the roof on with no one to help.
Old 06-21-2011, 04:46 AM

Trust me Jimmy, far from looking stupid, you'll look like a legend to those of us who've tried and cocked it up

Quick Reply: To hardtop or not to hardtop?!