UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

To hardtop or not to hardtop?!

Old 06-20-2011, 09:06 AM

Received 134 Likes on 113 Posts

I've had no hard top on my 04, and I find it fine during the winter. The heater is very capable, so warming up isn't an issue. Plus I love getting the roof down on those random cold, sunny winter days, especially with heated seats! That said, a plastic rear screen may not like roof down action whilst it's cold, so you may miss out anyway. I was after a GT (the model with the hardtop) when I bought mine, but I can honestly say I haven't missed it. Try it for a winter. If you want to be cosier and find you never put the roof down when it's cold (and you have the space), then get a hard top.
Old 06-20-2011, 09:13 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RevRanger
I go hard every winter Keeps the soft top away from the harsh northern elements plus they do look the dogs with them on
X2

It just looks so much better with the hardtop on, plus its a bit more quiet and cosy, which is always nice in winter I think.

It's basically like having two cars, come november you'll be looking forward to putting the HT on and come march you'll be looking forward to taking it off... Best of both worlds
Old 06-20-2011, 09:42 AM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Winter before last put on HT in Nov and took it off in March but last winter, couldn't get the roof dry as we didn't seem to have three dry days in a row to get it dry enough to put away !! so gave up.

concluded that actually don't think it matters either way except the storage problem mentioned above during the summer(*?!)
Old 06-20-2011, 09:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm still pretty undecided myself. I love to take the roof down whenever available, but you do have to remember not to try it when the roof is cold mine hates it if you attempt it. It has to be higher than 8 degrees outside,or significantly higher in the cab, for my roof to fold down happily. If I could store it and putting the roof on and off wasn't going to be a pain I would get one in a heartbeat. But I do so love to whip the top off
Old 06-20-2011, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by Squeak
what colour hardtop would you be after?
I'd be after a monte carlo blue, or possibly black i suppose. i haven't seen any two tone S2000s to judge it!

I've not phoned any bodyshops for a quote, but i presume respraying the wrong colour to MCB would be pretty expensive so i doubt i'd go down that route.
Old 06-20-2011, 10:21 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just keep an eye out in the for sale bit over summer, there'll be blue ones in there at some point
Old 06-20-2011, 10:54 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The car looks better with it fitted. Mine goes on from end of October till February, and I'm still on my original soft top (in near perfect condition).

Even if we do get some winter sun, it only takes minutes to remove (as long as there are two of you!) and you've got your roadster back again.
Old 06-20-2011, 10:57 AM

My hardtop went on yesterday, car looks much better with it on.

I personally always feels a bit of a knob-head driving around with the roof down to be honest
Old 06-20-2011, 11:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Floppy
I found a couple of harsh winters wrecked my soft top so would definitely go with the HT option. I've just bought one actually and it also looks awesome on the car if nothing else
i agree
Old 06-20-2011, 09:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hardtop storage is quite easy by using a hard top cover bag and hanging from the garage rafters above the bonnet.

Quick Reply: To hardtop or not to hardtop?!