UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

To hardtop or not to hardtop?!

Old 06-20-2011, 07:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To hardtop or not to hardtop?!

Hi guys!

I've owned my S2000 for about a month now-and its been a fantastic month! Having doubled my horsepower and halved my boot space from a focus its certainly been a change!

I've got a question, mainly for those guys with hardtops-is it worth it? I've had a quick scout on the "for sale" section as well as a well known auction website and it seems its going to cost around £1k for the top and the kit (i've got a 2001 model). Having never driven a convertible in the winter I was wondering whether anyone has found wacking on the top significantly better than the regular soft top in the colder months?

Cheers!
Old 06-20-2011, 07:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You'll find that the real men on the site don't bother with hardtops and go for top down action all year round as long as it's not raining.
Old 06-20-2011, 07:43 AM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Real men don't do roof down
Old 06-20-2011, 07:54 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I go hard every winter Keeps the soft top away from the harsh northern elements plus they do look the dogs with them on
Old 06-20-2011, 08:00 AM
eho

You may or may not had research into this but just wanted to highlight some potential issue.

1. Need 2 people to put on/take off the hardtop.
2. Need storage method such as the OEM stand and storage area.
3. Since you have a 2001 model, I am assuming that you have plastic rear screen. Having hard top on means that your roof is down all the time, this may crack the plastic rear screen if not maintained properly. I do believed some members put a soft towel between the folding of the screen.

Regarding winter month, it doesn't take long for the cabin to warm up because its so small compare to other cars. Personally I don't find it being an issue.
Old 06-20-2011, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by eho
You may or may not had research into this but just wanted to highlight some potential issue.

1. Need 2 people to put on/take off the hardtop.
2. Need storage method such as the OEM stand and storage area.
3. Since you have a 2001 model, I am assuming that you have plastic rear screen. Having hard top on means that your roof is down all the time, this may crack the plastic rear screen if not maintained properly. I do believed some members put a soft towel between the folding of the screen.

Regarding winter month, it doesn't take long for the cabin to warm up because its so small compare to other cars. Personally I don't find it being an issue.
yeah its got a plastic window-i was after a >2002, but this one was immaculate and low mileage at a great price. I was aware I'd need two people-plan would be to put it on in November and leave it on until march most likely, although i fancy some top down country roads during the dry cold days in december! maybe i'll see how this winter goes. i agree about the cabin heating up fast-the hot air comes out a lot faster than any other car i've had which is a massive help.
Old 06-20-2011, 08:25 AM

MB, remind us again why your HT isn't on at the mo...
Old 06-20-2011, 08:40 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I found a couple of harsh winters wrecked my soft top so would definitely go with the HT option. I've just bought one actually and it also looks awesome on the car if nothing else
Old 06-20-2011, 08:51 AM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by GaryB
MB, remind us again why your HT isn't on at the mo...
I took it off as my car had become so overly hetro it was uncanny
Old 06-20-2011, 09:00 AM

what colour hardtop would you be after?

Quick Reply: To hardtop or not to hardtop?!