UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Hard top wind noise

Old 10-23-2009, 05:24 AM
MIP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hard top wind noise

I've been trying to troubleshoot noise with the hard top, and I've had about every possible noise going the hard top can make. So far using the search, I've figured out and done the following:

- Undone the three bolts on each side under the plastic to adjust how the hard top sits (generally made it sit a bit closer/firmer, with a v. small even gap when the latches are undone as per the workshop manual).

- Taken front catches off and found removing a shim on each side results in a better fit.

- Used bits of plastic tubing on the hooks on the catches to make them toight and stop rattling.

- Packed some bits of foam on the catches on the folded soft top to stop them rattling.

- Shin-etsu silicone grease on every bit of rubber seal around the whole hard top.

So... so far an improvement, but I'm left with one problem that I'm really struggling to troubleshoot. Wind noise, that sounds like its coming from the bottom right hand corner of each window (over the shoulder from inside the car). A real whistling that becomes clearly apparent from both sides at motorway speed.

I've been packing theses little makup sponges around these corners, between the hard top and the car, in places I imagine their might be some kind of gap, but to little or no effect. Driving me mad, can't pinpoint the exact source of the noise!

Any hints/tips?
Old 10-23-2009, 05:32 AM

are the windows all the way up?

use more sillicon grease.

turn the radio up.

when i have shut the door on mine then lower the windows,when i close them again i get a wind noise.only opening and shutting the door again sorts it out.
Old 10-23-2009, 05:44 AM

Sounds like you might need to adjust the hardtop itself by taking the trim of the side panels. There are a couple of screws in there which can be adjusted...
Old 10-23-2009, 08:33 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Mine does it a little.
Suggests the rubber seal isn't sat on top of the rear deck black trim correctly.
If the soft roof has been out, check that the black trim surround has been replaced correctly
Its part of the frame etc that keeps the edge of the hood bolted down.
Old 10-23-2009, 08:49 AM

Received 134 Likes on 113 Posts

Hard top!? The sun's out today!
Old 10-23-2009, 09:51 AM

yeah i have the same, on just on the drivers door aft lower corner of the window driving me nuts as well
Old 10-23-2009, 01:38 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I think it's the shape of the HT!
Old 05-04-2012, 09:27 AM

Thread resurrection!

Did you manage to sort this out as I'm facing the same problem at motorway speed, wind noise coming from just behind my shoulder drivers and passenger side window at the bottom.
Old 05-04-2012, 01:45 PM
MIP

Never really figured it out no. ALl the things I mentioned in the original post helped a little, but never really got that one. I even replaced the door seal to no real effect. I can't see or work out where the noise would come from in that corner, maybe it's just the aero with the ht?
Old 05-04-2012, 02:30 PM

I've already done everything you've done, plus more fiddling with the alignment and trying to clamp the rear of the hardtop down tighter with ratchet straps. But I can only go so far before it starts hitting the window and I've adjusted those to their lowest point. It could just be aero, I'm going to get my thinking cap on and try out a few things this weekend, if I have any joy I'll update this thread.

Quick Reply: Hard top wind noise