UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Hard Top Dont Fit!!

Old 10-25-2003, 11:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hard Top Dont Fit!!

Okay, just wanted to find out if anyone else has had this problem....I have a standard S, an MT model, and took it to my local dealer to have a Hard Top retro fitted ready for the winter. At the same time I had also intended to have the OEM chin spoiler fitted.

The dealer had the car over night and for two days (apparently their electrician had a lot on, so they didn't want to rush the job - fair enough!). The dealer rang me on the second day advising that they had problem's fitting the Hard Top. Apparently it didn't seat properly despite their attempts to re-align the mounting brackets several times. I've now been told that the roof appears to be faulty and will now have to be returned to Honda. They can't promise when I'll get a replacement roof because honda will stop despatching new hardtops until the root cause of this problem is known...great!!!

Anyone else had this problem? What's to say that the replacement hardtop wont have the same problem?

Oh! and that chin spoiler, I cancelled the order! - none available until March 2004...come on Honda!!!

Laters...

Dave

Old 10-25-2003, 12:25 PM

Not sure what you mean by an MT model, but I'm assuming you mean the standard convertable?
Anyway the same happened when I had a hard top fitted. They kept the car overnight as they didn't want to rush it as it was the first one they'd done, but as it turned out they were having difficulty getting the top to fit. Another owner was kind enough to let the dealer try his hardtop on my car to confirm that the hardtop was in fact warped.

IIRC about 1-2 weeks later another hardtop arrived and it fitted perfectly

Fingers crossed for you
Old 10-25-2003, 12:45 PM

Yea, I think a none GT standard model is called an MT.

Anyway, I'm sure your right...the hardtops are only aluminum and guess are more prone to distortion. Fingers crossed

Dave
Old 10-25-2003, 12:45 PM

Dave,

have you any pics what this chin spolier looks like I may order one. How much would i be looking at fitted ?

thanks

Old 10-25-2003, 12:57 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had this problem.

Ordered a hardtop as part of the original order (with Brindley Honda in Cannock.). (Sept, 2001)

1st hard top delivered in the wrong colour.
2nd hard top, right colour, but was distorted and did not fit the car. Brindley sent it back.
3rd hard top right colour, fitted fine.

That wasn't the end of the story. Last winter, the hard top wouldn't fit quite correctly. It wasn't sealing to the windscreen correctly, leaving a gap above the windscreen creating a lot of wind noise. The hard top had been stored correctly. Local dealer (Dixon Honda in Bradford these days.), tried adjusting and agreed the top was at fault.

4th hard top, came in the wrong colour again! (Was due to be fitted during a service).
5th hard top, right colour, fitted perfectly. Dixon Honda went the extra mile in arranging for the new top fitting (I had to drive down from the Bradford area, to London way to pickup my Mugen exhaust that Saturday. They fitted the hard top and had me on the way in time to make London on time. Great bit of service

So there's at least one other owner - me - who's had fitment problems with the distorted hard tops. They fit perfectly when they're correct, and adjusted correctly.

My hard top is going back on for the winter soon (and it better fit!). There's a part of me dreading if it doesn't fit spot on. But there's also a part of me looking forward to it - I like the hard top

-Brian.
Old 10-25-2003, 01:09 PM

Woogie,

Here's that picture of the OEM chin spoiler! It costs
Old 10-25-2003, 01:13 PM

Brian,

What a nightmare! Sorry you had so many problems with yours.

I guess it's quite ironic, but my hardtop is been fitted by Bridley Cannock too! oh dear...hope I'm not in for the same experience as you had.

Dave
Old 10-25-2003, 01:21 PM

Be aware that Honda must make a hefty mark-up if they're charging
Old 10-25-2003, 01:58 PM

Dave, on the basis that no-one else expressed an interest, the hard top stand would appear to be yours! I'll be in touch soon to sort out the details [/QUOTE]

Nice one! you should have my details from the SM4.

Dave
Old 10-25-2003, 11:49 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mark Turner
Be aware that Honda must make a hefty mark-up if they're charging

Quick Reply: Hard Top Dont Fit!!